Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Elitebook 8560w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a complete clone of the C drive on the SSD. I don't have the HP_TOOLS partition and the hidden recoverty partition on the SSD.

Do I need them? How do I get them on the SSD?

Thank you for any help that you can provide.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Nope. If they were it would not work without them. Check and see if you can get into UEFI diagnostics by tapping F2 as you power up. I would check that. Not needed to run the computer but you never miss it until you need it if you have a possible hardware problem. There is a downloadable UEFI program you can install if necessary. There are no Windows 10 downloads but the Windows 8.1 UEFI should work:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5071172&swItemId=ob_129420_1&swEnvOid=415...

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Does everything still work? You can live without those partitions but I believe the HP Tools partition is needed for UEFI diagnostics. 

HP Recommended

Yeah everything still works just fine. I still have the old HDD which has those partitions.  I was just wondering if those partitions were mandatory to have on my main drive.

HP Recommended

Nope. If they were it would not work without them. Check and see if you can get into UEFI diagnostics by tapping F2 as you power up. I would check that. Not needed to run the computer but you never miss it until you need it if you have a possible hardware problem. There is a downloadable UEFI program you can install if necessary. There are no Windows 10 downloads but the Windows 8.1 UEFI should work:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5071172&swItemId=ob_129420_1&swEnvOid=415...

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

After doing a quick restart, F11 doesnt do anything for me.

After pressing F2 though, I get transferred to HP Advanced System Diagnostics Vers 3.7.0.0, where theres system info, start-up test, run-in test, system tune-up, Hard disk test, memory test, battery test, BIOS management, Error log, and language.

Exiting from THAT transfers me to another screen of black and white where

F1 System Info

F2 System Diagnostics

F7 HP SpareKey

F9 Boot Device Options

F10 BIOS Setup

F12 Network Boot

ENTER - Continue startup

Also, keep in mind, that at the time of typing this, I have my old HDD in an upgrade caddy where my optical drive used to be.

HP Recommended

So I ran the program that you linked for me. It changed the Advanced System Diagnostics screen to a more modern UEFI Diagnostics screen. That's all that it did.

So I guess I should just hold on to the old HDD for now, until the inevitable day that I get a new laptop?

HP Recommended

Yes not a bad idea. You did not say whether F2 works or not so I am unsure on that. Windows 10 has some very good backup tools including the ability to make a bootable backup disk or thumb drive with a system image, which is actually better than the HP restore media made from the recovery partition. You can also put the UEFI diagnostics on a bootable thumb drive. 

HP Recommended
So I tried to make recovery drives on the SSD and it won't work because I'm missing some critical files. I can make recovery media if I boot off the HDD, though. I figure I'm better off doing a fresh reinstall of Windows 10 at this point just to be safe.
And F2 takes me to the UEFI screen. Sorry. Should have said that.
HP Recommended

Then I think you are good. Did you use the Windows 10 backup and recovery or try to use the HP Recovery Manager to make the recovery disk?

HP Recommended
Windows 10 backup and recovery through the HDD.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.