cprevost Tutor
Tutor
4 3 0 3
Message 1 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

New Spectre x360 Digitizer Pen Support?

Spectre x360

Anyone know if the new Spectre x360 released in October 2016 supports digitizer pen? HP customer service does not seem to know and none of the early reviews say anything about it. Looking at this particular model:

http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/Laptops/hp-spectre-x360-convertible-laptop-13t-touch-w9b13av-1

Tags (1)
12 REPLIES 12
mgfx Top Student
Top Student
6 4 0 1
Message 2 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I was wondering the exact same thing.  Support for a quality active stylus is paramount in a 2-in-1 tablet for me.  HP sales chat told me this pen was compatible...

J4R51AA#ABL

...but I keep reading reports that this new X360 doesn't support any pen at all.  I would also like to know if there is any way to use the Dell synaptics stylus on this laptop like some users have done with older Spectre X360s since it is supposedly a MUCH better pen.  All of the reviews I've read of the HP pen say it is very lackluster and you have to press VERY hard to get response.  

It's a real shame since this new machine looks extremely nice and well built but wihtout support of a quality digitizer pen it will be a huge miss for anyone doing digital arts, which is a growing segment of the customer base.  I'm seriously consdiering getting the Thinkpad Yoga X1 instead for this single reason along since it comes with a Wacom based pen, even though it's hundreds of dollars more expensive with an older generation cpu.  

I'd really love it if HP is working on an updated stylus that will work with the new Spectre X360.  Not holding my breath though 😞

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
18,208 17,730 1,286 1,940
Message 3 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi! @cprevost @mgfx, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand you need to know whether  x360 supports Digitizer pen.

Please refer the compatibility guide to check if stylus\active pen works on X360 laptop.

Link: http://hp.care/2exUMMk

Let me know if this helps!

Cheers! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

mgfx Top Student
Top Student
6 4 0 1
Message 4 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The latest model we are asking about w9b13av-1 is NOT on this list.  So, no it's not very helfpful 🙂

0 Kudos
cprevost Tutor
Tutor
4 3 0 3
Message 5 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, this is exactly the runaround I get when I contact customer support to try to find out. It's amazing to me that nobody at HP knows the answer to this simple question. I know the laptop is new but come on. Apple would never do this. This is my first foray into windows laptop after 20+ years of owning Apple products. This does not give me confidence. I may have to stick with Microsoft products or go back to Apple. If a company can't answer simple questions about the capabilities of the products it sells it doesn't say much about how they will handle issues that come up. 

Retired
Retired
18,208 17,730 1,286 1,940
Message 6 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi! @mgfx @cprevost, thanks for the response.

The Product number you provided w9b13av-1. Is for a customized laptop please find the model name of the laptop below.

BU W/K PHTM HP Spectre 13t-w000 x360

When you compare it with the compatibility guide. It does not match the list.

So HP active pen or HP Active Stylus will not work on this laptop.

I'll watch for your reply!

Cheers! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
cprevost Tutor
Tutor
4 3 0 3
Message 7 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So you are basing your information solely on this list? Or do you have another source of information about compatibility? If you are basing your information on the list are you sure that the list is current as the laptop was just released. I"m likely just going to have to buy from Microsoft because they know what they are selling. 

0 Kudos
Himay Honor Student
Honor Student
1 1 0 1
Message 8 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I was told in hp chat that the W9B13AV_1 would support that same pen mentioned above so I ordered the laptop. Now I'm seeing reports it doesn't support any pen at all. I'm ready to just cancel the order, since it won't even be shipped for another two weeks.

10/23/2016 07:58:34PM Session Started with Agent (Regine G.)

10/23/2016 07:58:34PM himay: "Does the new kaby lake spectre x360 have full pen support? Is there a built in digitizer? Thanks"

10/23/2016 07:58:42PM Agent (Regine G.): "Thank you for contacting the HP.com Sales Center. My name is Regine. I've read your question and am ready to assist you."

10/23/2016 08:00:16PM Agent (Regine G.): "If you are referring to this HP Spectre x360 Convertible Laptop-13t touch:
http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/Laptops/hp-spectre-x360-convertible-laptop-13t-touch-w9b13av-1" 10/23/2016 08:00:19PM Agent (Regine G.): "Yes. This computer is built with Screen digitizer." 10/23/2016 08:01:05PM Agent (Regine G.): "You may use the HP Active Stylus for it."

10/23/2016 08:01:13PM Agent (Regine G.): "Here's the link:
http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/accessories-88342--1/hp-active-pen-j4r51aa-abl"

Now I'm more confused than ever. Why no mention of this in all the product announcements and reviews? And for the last several weeks they have been showing a TV ad of a guy drawing away on his Spectre raving about how great it is. Would they have an ad blitz for last year's product the exact week the refresh is released? Granted the hardware is great but I'm ready to give up on this thing.

cprevost Tutor
Tutor
4 3 0 3
Message 9 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm hearing from several sources that it does not have pen support. Frustrating that HP doesn't know. This drove me right to Microsoft. At least they know what their products can do. 

qandrew Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 10 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

is it possible to install firmware to make the new x360 screen support digitizers?

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation