Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-022sa E9J87EA
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi, I cant turn on my laptop. Worked fine this morning. Turned it off before going out. Left it on charge. When I returned I clicked the power button and nothing happened...

The LED light by the power inlet socket does not come on when mains cable is plugged in.

The power button light does not come on.

Nothing happens when i press the power button.

i have done all the things suggested such as ..

using a different charger,

removing battery and using the mains cable.

Using different mains sockets.

Hard battery reset ,etc.

i can confirm the mains cable is definitely working, the problem seems to be with the laptop.

i suspect the inline fuse  inside the notebook has blown (if there is one)..

or the power switch needs replacing (but if the power switch board is faulty, i would still expect the LED light to come on by the input socket??)

can someone please help ... 

i  am out of warranty and I am willing to have a go at replacing it myself. 

Where can I find the inline fuse in the notebook, and where can I find a replacement?

If there is no internal Fuse, does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be ?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @Louiseduncan11,

Welcome to the HP Forums. I would be happy to help you with your Pavilion 15-022sa E9J87EA.

I understand that your  hp pavilion 15-e022sa does not turn on.

No Power - No lights:

Perform the below steps:

If the computer does not start, the LED lights do not glow, and the display is black,

you can perform one or more of the following actions to resolve the no power issue:

(Click on the blue letters to get more details about each step)

1. Examine the adapter and power cord for physical damage
  2. Test the power from the AC wall outlet to the notebook connector
  3. Start computer using the battery only
  4. Check that the lid switch moves freely
  5. When you have completed the troubleshooting steps, there should be power available to the computer. When you press the power button, the LEDs should glow, and you should hear the sounds of the fan and the hard drive spinning.

Thanks for being a part of the HP community.

Please let me know if this helps resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution".

If you require further assistance, let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help. If

you wish to say "thanks" for my efforts, click the "Thumbs Up" to give me a Kudos..

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for your response.

I have followed your advice and the results are as follows

1. Examine the adapter and power cord for physical damage
    1. the adapter and power cord are fine, no physical damage and using an electrical tester, i can confirm power at the correct voltage and amps is coming from the cord (i have 2 and both are fine)
  2. Test the power from the AC wall outlet to the notebook connector
    1. the power from the wall socket is fine, ive also tried it from other sockets, and still no change
  3. Start computer using the battery only
    1. tried using the battery only and still no signs of life, no Led's coming on at all
  4. Check that the lid switch moves freely
    1. there is no lid switch on my model, but the lid opens and closes freely
  5. When you have completed the troubleshooting steps, there should be power available to the computer. When you press the power button, the LEDs should glow, and you should hear the sounds of the fan and the hard drive spinning.
    • If the battery does not accept the charge or the notebook does not turn on without the AC adapter, contact HP to order a replacement battery.
      • it's not the battery, since the laptop doesnt power on when using the cable either.
    • If the LEDs do not glow, and there are no other indicators of power being available to the computer, contact HP for technical assistance in troubleshooting a potential problem with the AC power connection or the system board.
      • I thik this is the most relevant summary of my problem, but i thought i was contacting HP technical support by posting in this forum? there is no way i can afford to pay £33.99 to contact them outside of warranty, plus what ever the repairs would cost.
    • If the LEDs blink, or the computer beeps, but it does not start, go to HP Notebook PCs - Troubleshooting LED Blink Codes or Beep Codes During Startup or Boot.
      • No blinking or lights at all, none , not even the light next to the power inlet (the one that indicates power going into the machine)
    • If the LEDs glow but the computer does not start on either battery or AC power, go to Troubleshooting Black Screen Displays with No Error Messages During Startup or Boot.

No LED's and computer doesnt start on battery or AC. I have carried out the suggested checks and resets included in the article, but without success.I have done a little research into potential problems, and i am leaning towards it being the DC Input Jack, or the Power Switch Board. If it was a fault with the Power Switch Board, would the LED light on the DC input jack still light up ?

If so, i think the problem is with the DC input jack.I have ordered a new DC input jack (£5.95), but i am awaiting delivery. The laptop is now stripped and ready for it to be fitted.

Hopefully this should fix it, but if not, i will then replace the Power switch board (£15.95) too.

Does anyone know if there is an internal fuse somewhere? I cant seem to find one from visible inspection, but if there is one i suspect that may have blown.

HP Recommended

@jonniecee, It's great to hear from you again.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

As you mentioned the issue still persists after trying out the steps.

Also, as you mentioned you have ordered DC Port you can try swapping them if you still have issues powering on your laptop.

It certainly looks to be a system board issue.

Please contact HP support for service options.

Link to contact HP.

Have a great day ahead!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Jonniecee, did you ever get the Pavilion to power up?  And if so what worked?

Same problem here, similar model 15-ab223cl, replaced the DC Input Jack here and still no luck.  Plugging in the adapter results in no LED, with multiple DC Input jacks and with multiple power adapters.   Wondering if you replaced the Power switch board also. 

Any input appreciated, would prefer not to E-Waste a fairly new laptop.

HP Recommended

@JazzLab61 wrote:

Jonniecee, did you ever get the Pavilion to power up?  And if so what worked?

Same problem here, similar model 15-ab223cl, replaced the DC Input Jack here and still no luck.  Plugging in the adapter results in no LED, with multiple DC Input jacks and with multiple power adapters.   Wondering if you replaced the Power switch board also. 

Any input appreciated, would prefer not to E-Waste a fairly new laptop.

Hi, No i didn't manage to get it working again.

I bought a new DC input jack, and a new Power Button board, but neither fixed the issue.

But would have been a cheap fix if they did, so i would recommend trying it first , i found mine on eBay, i think it was about £7 for the dc input jack, and about £13 for the Power button switch.

I also bought a New motherboard, but which did then power up and come to life, but it turned out the motherboard i bought was faulty, so i returned it ..(but at least it proved the power button and DC input was working.

I ended up buying a secondhand laptop , the same model, so at least i will be able to use the parts from my old one.

I suspect the problem is with the motherboard , (i can see scald marks on parts of the motherboard, and lots of dust had gathered in the cooling area of the fan and motherboard, so i suspect it had over heated)

the sad thing is even secondhand Motherboards are around £115 plus postage, which makes it unviable , since I managed to get a complete secondhand laptop identical for £150.

Maybe someone here at HP could offer us a discount on any motherboards they may have laying around their warehouse, so at least it would be economically viable to bring these laptops back to life.

I still have mine sitting in a drawer ready to use as spare parts. RAM, HDD, Battery, Charger, Screen, DVD Drive, etc plus the new DC Inlet and Power Board.

anyway, try the power switch and dc input, but if you look for signs of over heating on the motherboard, i think it may have fried like mine had.

Good luck, let me know if you have any other questions

HP Recommended

Thanks for the thorough follow-up!  I'll probably go the same path as you for this.  It sems like its such a delicate build for all the failures without any prompting on the user side....but my daughter loves it so I'll probably get a refurbed cheap one off ebay if I can't Frankenstein this back to life.  The Pavilion sits on a desk with light use over the last 2 years and fries out, but my Lenovo gets carried in a backpack daily and gets heavy useage for the last 6+ years and has not failed me.  

I have the power switch board on order arriving soon so will try that next, otherwise, will get the replacement and pop in the hard drive from the old/parts one and run that as the stopgap solution for now.  Two year old laptops should not be pick and pull parts laptops sitting in drawers haha, it's a shame.  I agree with you, if HP has spare motherboards of this model they should offer them up, since this model did not get an "official" recall.

Thanks for sharing your experiences and have a great New Year.

HP Recommended
I got the same problem and really dnt know what to do. And from your conversation, its been cnfrmed that i have to take a new one. So bad HP, so bad
HP Recommended

I have tried everything I can. But my HP PAVILION 15 cc-140tx not turning on and not charging when plugged in.

HP Recommended

Hi,  Same issue here on a 15-e097, I was in the process of downloading Windows 10 to do a reinstall as it was running slow, abruptly it just shut down, no power LED and completely unresponsive. I had noticed the fan was a bit noisy, vents are clear, I am wondering if this is a fan failure issue? or perhaps an overvoltage?

Definitely not the power lead or battery.

I have a new power jack arriving soon so will try that first, but am not holding out much hope. If its a dead duck ill strip it down and test the components one by one, see if I cant get to the bottom of this! Granted its not a young laptop but this is starting to sound like an issue with these models rather than just age.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.