Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion Power 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi!

I was upgrading my 8gb RAM with another 8gb stick, and the laptop just totally died. The RAM was fully compatible, but after installing it my laptop hasn't turned on OR charged at all. There is no charging indicator LED, nothing. I followed HP's official RAM installing guide and did nothing wrong. Have I somehow managed to short circuit the motherboard when installing the RAM or what the hell happened? Not very happy to pay 40€/$ just to find my laptop totally unusable.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

So even with the new RAM removed it still does not start up? When you open it and put it back together and its dead, suspect #1 is electrostatic discharge. Technically you are supposed to use a grounding strap when you do it. Not too many people do but you run a risk. 

HP Recommended

@ohatakka wrote:

... Have I somehow managed to short circuit the motherboard when installing the RAM or what the hell happened? Not very happy to pay 40€/$ just to find my laptop totally unusable.

@ohatakka 

Does it work when put old RAM back ? If not then very hard to tell but I always earth myself and wearing an Anti Static Wrist Strap when working on computers small or big. You may kill your machine but can't tell.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Booting with the old RAM doesn't work anymore. It never worked after I tried the new RAM. I also grounded myself before touching any parts so it shouldn't be a problem. Thank you for your reply nonetheless.

This is a very obscure problem, after 10 hours of research today I still haven't found any solutions.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.