Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
EliteBook 840 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

one of our users ran into an issue with using a CAC card on her laptop. The laptop seems to be detecting the card reader properly but no information is being read from the card - she cannot login into internet banking and other applications. There is no specific error message - said applications just ask for her to insert the card although it's already inserted and detected by the system.

I tried two different external readers and the HP internal reader but any of them work. The Device Manager sees these devices and i am able to install drivers, but the data from the card cannot be read.
It looks like a software or service issue to me but I am not sure if there is any dedicated system software to check.

I tried to read the card on other laptop as well and it works there properly (the same laptop, the same system), so the issue is unique to her device.

The laptop is HP EliteBook 840 G4 manufactured in 2018 - Windows 10 Enterprise. It has been reinstalled recently.

Any ideas?
Thank you,

Jan

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.