Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Elitebook 840 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just bought an EliteBook 840 G5 after having Lenovos for the past 20 years. I really love having a pointing stick and think its the fastest way to navigate a computer in general (as fingers are always in typing position). Yet, i didnt notice that the EliteBook lacks of the 3rd (middle) touchpad mouse button that allows for scrolling with the pointing stick. Thats a catastrophy. Even after 3 weeks on my new laptop, i still found no acceptable alternative to navigate fast. I still feel slow like a beginner. I found this tiny registry hack that allows for scrolling with the 2 touchpad mouse buttons clicked simultaneously. But this leads to many misclicks (as many others concluded on the web).

Why not extend the pointing stick driver so it allows for scrolling while the right touchpad mouse button is down? this would be easy to code and solve all my problems, as its ergonomic and has no downsides.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem (and have a similar background using Levovos - since 2009 in my case).

What is the registry hack you mentioned? I have been struggling with this issue for months and can't find any solutions online.

HP Recommended

As for middle scroll button, there's a workaround:

- open regedit.exe

- go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Synaptics\SynTP\Defaults

- in the right-hand pane, create a new DWORD (32-bit) value, name HasBothButtonFeature, value 1

- log off and back on again

Now you can have middle click by pressing both buttons together.

Further, in the touchpad/trackpoint settings (Windows+S, then type "synaptics") you can now set the middle button action to sth like "Scroll with pointing stick while the button is pressed", to emulate the ThinkPad behaviour.

I doubt that this will make you happy though.. Btw, on my notebook, this setting got removed again with the latest driver update, so i might have to create the registry key aagain. Yet, it didnt convince me anyway.. im still very frustrated.. recently, ive been frustrated about the whole track point in general: it jumps, lags and "misbehaves" so often, i can barely work with it.. im already thinking of buying a lenovo again (and give my hp away to someone who works with a mouse anyway)..

HP Recommended

Are these posts here read by some official hp employee? Or will i have to submit my feedback somewhere else to reach them?

HP Recommended

It is annoying for the track point without middle button scrolling. I have used ThinkPad for a long time. The reason I switch to HP is Lenovo always use low quality LCD panel. This HP workstation is very disappoint for me. It removed the traditional indicator lights include the HDD indicator. I really like green color indicator instead white LED. The light is very bright and its color is very glare. The Fn key lock is a very bad design, and it is really useless.So many things are not good. I would try Thinkpad for my next laptop.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.