Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 9 (180 Views)

Notebook Problems

My HP Pavillion Notebook is only 2 years old.  Have been getting a sad face with error message and laptop shuts down and restarts. Doesn't save anything in word document, pdf or excel.  Started making weird noises in class. My 2 year extended warranty on notebook expired 2 weeks ago. Not sure if this is hard drive problems or what? Best Buy wants over $ 200 to do a diagnostic on hard drive. With extended warranty and this amount - I could purchase a new laptop. Only use it for school work - taking notes, etc. Computer was cleaned out in Feb. 2016 with viruses, etc. and updated.  Please help me figure out what is wrong and least amount to fix.  I am a struggling student. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 9 (168 Views)

Re: Notebook Problems

Well struggle to please give us the model number of the laptop. Please. $200 to test the hard drive? And people wonder why I constantly criticize Geek Squad. There are free built in hardware diagnostics we can walk you though but OH we need the model number to provide you specific instructions. 

Top Student
Message 3 of 9 (153 Views)

Model # is HP Pavillion 14-V048CA GSP Notebook.

Provost
Message 4 of 9 (141 Views)

OK AMD A8 and is it still Windows 8.1 or did you upgrade to 10? In either case, tap esc or F2 as you power up and get into diagnostics. Run the full hard drive test and the full memory test (might take several hours) and report back the results. 

Top Student
Message 5 of 9 (126 Views)

Notebook is Windows 8.1

Test Logs (All)

Sept. 14, 2016   

Type: System (E)      Result:  Passed    Failure ID:  N/A     Page Description:  N/A

System Extensive Test

Battery Check: Primary – OK (0)

Processor Check: PASSED

Wireless Module Check: PASSED

Hard Drive SMART Check: PASSED

Hard Drive Short DST Check: PASSED

Hard Drive Long DST Check: PASSED (Tested 6.84 GB)

Video Memory Check: PASSED

System Board Check: WARNING

System Extensive Test - PASSED

Provost
Message 6 of 9 (119 Views)

We saved you $200. Nothing wrong with the hard drive or memory. Does it get hot? At this point, the next logical step is to reinstall Windows. Do you have a backup of your important files? 

Top Student
Message 7 of 9 (108 Views)

HI;

Yes you did save us $ 200.  Thank you.  It does get hot when it's frozen or rebooting.  How do we reinstall Windows?

Do we have to uninstall it first - how do we do that?  In the process of saving all my pics and info.  I have all the disks

to install, but not sure how to go about doing it?  Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Provost
Message 8 of 9 (103 Views)

So do you have a backup of files? Not clear. The laptop comes with a recovery partition that will allow you to do a clean new install of Windows easily, but it will delete all your data in the process. 

Top Student
Message 9 of 9 (94 Views)

We're backing up pictures on it, but will probably take it to a computer store to backup everything else

so that we don't lose anything, before reinstalling Windows. Thanks for your help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation