Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.
trek024 Tutor
Tutor
9 0 4
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Notebook broken hinge

/*HP ENVY TouchSmart 17 Notebo
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP ENVY TouchSmart 17 Notebook  EOK95UA

I also have the broken hinge problem.

I bought this laptop because my daughter had one and loved it. I love mine too, but not the hinge. My daughter's hinge broke while hers was still under warranty, so she told me to be extra careful with mine. It has never left this table and I am always VERY careful opening and closing it. Even so, my hinge has also broken and has also cracked the bottom cover. I hold it all together when opening it. 

I'm wondering if HP will still fix this for me, seeing as it is clearly evident that it is a design problem. Why should I have to replace a perfectly good laptop just because HP has a problem?  

I hope someone at HP will read this and get back to me.

I have had and still have several HP products. I was always pleased with their quality. This hinge problem seems to be widespread. A definate design problem. I hope I can maintain my faith in HP and they can help me with a repair.

4 REPLIES
Retired Omar-E
Retired
10015 119 416
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Notebook broken hinge

@trek024

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details). If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I Work for HP
0 Kudos
revbruce3 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Notebook broken hinge

My daughter as a Envy m6-p014dx. Recently I sent it in to HP to be fixed but I was very surprised to find out that a broken hinge was not covered under the warranty? Is this correct?

It was two weeks over a year old. She never dropped it yet just by repeated opening and closing the rivets in the hinge came apart.

Is there any recourse on this?

It's a beautiful laptop with a nice touch screen... but for it to become unuseable after such a short time seems really strange...what has happened to quality control at HP as I see by this forum that many users have had a similar problem?

Again, all I want to know if this problem of a broken hinge is now covered by the warranty or not.

0 Kudos
trek024 Tutor
Tutor
9 0 4
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Notebook broken hinge

Again I will reply about this hinge problem. As I wait, and have to continue using this machine, with it's faulty designed hinges, the problem only gets worse. I can see the day coming that the screen will just flop back and break the electrical connections in the hinge area. I have written several messages about this problem (like many many others) and so far have heard nothing fom HP about a solution.

I hope HP reads these messages and realizes that they will lose not only the faith we have had in their products, but all of our future business. I thought I had bought the last laptop I would ever need (I don't have a lot of time left) but if I am forced by this to spend another $1000.00 for a new laptop, it surely won't be another HP, unless HP gets on the ball and takes care of this problem ASAP.

Thanks, Bill

0 Kudos
revbruce3 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Notebook broken hinge

My daughter's laptop had the same problem. We went through a lot of rigmarole to get HP to finally fix it (it broke 2 weeks after the normal warranty was up!). But  it was only covered because our credit card extended the warranty. Even then we had to jump through a lot of hoops to get it fixed as they didn't feel at first it was covered under the warranty!?!!

Anyway, in the end they reluctantly covered the repair/replacement of the hinge.

Now all that said I believe the original hinges on this laptop simply aren't strong enough. Hopefully what they have replaced them with will last. Realize my daughter never dropped the laptop or mistreated it. In fact, it sat on her desk most of the time. The hinge simply broke from normal use.

Sincerely,

Bruce

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation