Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP 15-dc1038nl

Hello, 

my Omen Laptop 15 with i7-9750H as soon as I plug in the charger starts boosting the CPU at max clock (over 4000Mhz).

I don't know how long has it been doing this. Recently I have been using it a lot more without headphones and I realised that the fans are always running high and started investigating.

The temperatures stay above 80°C. 
I have tried to update to the last BIOS, I changed power plans, set the Bios settings to default but it didn't work.

The only way I managed to improve this, is by setting the Maximum processor state to 99%.

The problem is that this way the clock boost is not working anymore.

I would like the boost to be working when is needed but not all the time that the laptop is plugged in.

I suppose it is the boost function that increases the core clock but it might be something else. 

Thanks for your help 🙂

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@DarkSoulofOdin

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• Did this happen after a recent window or software update?
  • Have you made any hardware/software changes?
  • Did you make any changes on the settings of your PC prior to the issue?
  • When was the last time it worked fine?

Firstly, perform Windows Update and HP Support Assistant: (do not skip any troubleshooting steps if you feel steps are repeating) 

To check for updates now, select the Start button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update, and select Check for updates.

Install updates from HP Support Assistant: Go to Download HP Support Assistant to install the tool.

1. To open HP Support Assistant, double-click the HP Support Assistant icon https://support.hp.com/doc-images/932/c05040382.jpg.
  2. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.
  3. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.
  4. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.
  5. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.
  6. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Echo, thanks for your help, I will answer to your questions:

• Did this happen after a recent window or software update?

I don't know, I can't be sure. I have updated a few things recently:

Bios, Nvidia Geforce Experience software and nvidia driver and I tried to update windows 10 to the latest version but it is bugged and it won't work.

• Have you made any hardware/software changes?

same as above

• Did you make any changes on the settings of your PC prior to the issue?

No I didn't.

• When was the last time it worked fine?

No sure. The problem is that the pc has always been quite loud but I haven't checked the core clock before. When I have bought it I read that temps around the 85°C were quite common so I didn't investigate further.

I recently tried looking again online and I read about somebody else having temps issues due to core clocks always running at max, so I went checking and I had the same issue.

I have followed all the steps again but the laptop is fully up to date.

Many thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

@DarkSoulofOdin

Thank you for posting back. 

I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  
use the following steps:

• Shut down the computer, and then inspect and clean the exterior vents to remove dust buildup by blowing air through the vent openings. Dust can accumulate inside the vent openings and around internal cooling components, preventing the removal of heat.

For more information on reducing heat inside your computer, see Reducing Heat Inside the PC.

• After you remove the dust, turn on the computer. If the error message persists, continue with these steps.
  • Perform a hard reset. Performing a hard reset can reset recorded thermal values in memory and enable you to use the computer again, even if only for a short time to access and save any important files before service.

For more information on performing a hard reset, see Use Hard Reset to Resolve Hardware and Software Issues.

• In some cases, updating the BIOS might help prevent this error from occurring. For more information on how to update the BIOS, see Updating the BIOS.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @Echo_Lake,
sorry for the delay, it has been complicated but I think I found the culprit in the GeForce Experience  software. I think that its battery boost messes around with some settings. I tried to turn off just the boost but it didn't seem to improve the problem. I then uninstalled GeForce Experience, restarted the pc, and now it is working fine. Also, the power mode battery slider was affecting the core clocks in if on the "best performance" setting. Now I keep it lower.

Many thanks for your support.

Have a great week end.

HP Recommended

@DarkSoulofOdin

Perfect, I am really glad to hear that!

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.