Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
ac-002
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I own the HP spectre x360. Previously, btoh USB-C ports where working.

Then suddenly, upper USB-C port stopped working. It stopped charging the laptop and cannot recognize any USB-C device. The lower USB-C port is working fine. I tried uninstalling the USB Root Hub and Intel Extensible Host Control in device manager, tried to uncheck"Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power", tried unchecking fast-start under power management, but nothing solved the issue. My bios version is F.44 if it helps. Is there a way to check if this is a hardware or software failure? Or are there any suggested solutions? Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Chelayel

You should still be under warranty. Contact HP Support:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

They will probably request that you do a System Recovery so if you need to back up any personal files better get that done first. This is the process for a Recovery:

http://hp.dezide.com/ts/start.jsp?guide=HPSystemRecovery.net&as=true&SFS=sdoc&section=ccweb

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Immediately after powering on start tapping the Esc key. This will open a menu where F2 System Diagnostics is an option. Tap F2 key and run the Component tests.

HP Recommended

Which one of the component tests should I run? The usb and thunderbolt tests were successful

HP Recommended

That is the one to run. Maybe system board also.

HP Recommended

@Chelayel

You should still be under warranty. Contact HP Support:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

They will probably request that you do a System Recovery so if you need to back up any personal files better get that done first. This is the process for a Recovery:

http://hp.dezide.com/ts/start.jsp?guide=HPSystemRecovery.net&as=true&SFS=sdoc&section=ccweb

HP Recommended

I had this happen to me this morning on my 8th Gen i7 Spectre x360 13.3. The top port (From hinge down) stop charging or Video out.

This fixed it

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05942533

HP Recommended

Same here. I didn't want to deal with a system restore (the "Accepted Solution", and also one of the most drastic ones...), so I reflashed the BIOS. I just downloaded the BIOS from the HP support site, ran the installer, sat back, and 3 minutes later I'm back in business. Worked like a charm! Both c-ports are now fully functional.

Remember: There's usually a less drastic step you can take rather than following the initial advice of a first-level tech who's reading from a scripted solution. While the solutions they provide may work, they're designed to keep the problem solving at the lowest level possible, rather than escalating the problem to a higher, and more expensive, solution. This is why these community message boards are so valuable.

Cheers!

HP Recommended

Thankyou!

It took me several hours of diagnostics, swapping this and that with various configurations using HP supplied and Satechi Thunderbolt C adapters with one port endlessly chimning "Power surge on the USB port" until I disabled one of two USB Root Hub (USB 3.0).  5 seconds holding the power switch, 17 seconds to boot and all seems right with the world!

HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-df0005 

HP Recommended

Hi, I had this same problem and here are a list of solutions from different forums as well as the solution from hp support that fixed it.

Laptop Model: 4FJ31AV

1. Reset/update drivers for thunderbolt and usb.

2. Do UEFI Hardware test. Access via pressing f2 key repeatedly during startup.

3. Reset the embedded hardware controller. Steps: Shutdown computer. Press and hold power button for 5 or more seconds. Start normally.

4. Solution that fixed my specific problem: Draining the motherboard power completely. Steps: Shutdown computer. Press and hold the power button and f6 key for 20 seconds. Wait 5 seconds. Start computer.
This Fixed my issue.

HP Recommended

Hey, I had similar issue suddenly top USB-C Type in HP Spectra 360 13 inches stopped to work and there was no power supply and did not recognize any C Type connector in the port, suggested process applied "Shutdown the Laptop and Hold Power button till 5 seconds" then problem has been resolved, now both C Type USB working well.

Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.