Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-au158nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I need to replace the battery.  I was able to use a small plastic pry bar to separate the case shell, but it's not fully coming apart.  It looks as if there's a metal piece that is keeping it together.  I can only see it from the far side of the laptop, because I can't separate the edge it's near far enough.  It almost looks like the shell is supposed to slide in some direction now to release it, but that hasn't worked.  I tried prying it apart as strong as I felt it could take it, stopping before I broke something.

What's the trick to this?  It almost seems like there's one final screw, but there's no way in from the keyboard side, and there's no screwhole underneath.

I've attached the same photo twice, once with a red circle around the piece that looks like it's holding it together.

IMG_4896.JPGIMG_4896circled.jpg

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

There is one screw under the back rubber strip, this seems to be the screw you are indicating.

Look on page 30 of service manual

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05228250

Hope it helps,

David

Please click on thumbs up for thanks

Please click on accept as solution if answered your question

HP Recommended

Hi,

I recommend that  you use the video media at the link below this. Click on base enclosure and watch the video to learn how to open up the notebook .

http://h20574.www2.hp.com/results.htm?SID=10862158&MEID=8BC6A844-F67A-49EE-B31C-F599C8D7DFED

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.