Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Out of Warranty Hardware Repair

HP ENVY 15 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there. I have discovered that my laptop's Warranty has expired but my laptop is now damaged. It accidently slid off a bed when my dog jumped onto the bed and I believe this may be what has caused the damage. The case appears to have broken open in the corner by the power button. This is just on the lower half of the laptop (the keyboard half). It seems that the silver case has come unhitched from the black base. This is resulting in, when I open the lid, the hinge opens up the split more. I have, today, exprienced a new problem which was very disconcerting! A loud sharp buzzing sound started coming from the laptop. It sounded like an electrical buzz, rather than a fan or whirring. I feel like maybe something related to the case splitting has caused something icky to happen inside! 

What I need to know iswhat my options are now that the Warranty has expired. I don't know whether this is something that is going to need urgent repair or not. The loud electric buzzing has triggered me to seek help because it was very unnerving. I don't know if could be something as simple as clipping the case back together? I've tried pushing it back together to see if it would simply click, but this hasn't worked.

I've not experienced any other technical issues as a result of the damage, other than what I've already mentioned. I would really appreciate some advise in this situation as I really don't want to be paying an absolute fortune for a repair! 

1 REPLY 1
Provost Provost
Provost
41,666 40,102 6,277 10,911
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Out of Warranty Hardware Repair

Unless you can do the labor yourself, from your description, parts and labor for repair are going to be at or in excess of the cost of a new laptop. If you want to try to figure out how to fix it we are going to need pictures or if you think you can describe the problem from the manual I can post that if you give us the exact model number. 

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation