2 0 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

Overheating upon startup

HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-da0042tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Heres the issue I'm having

Within 30 seconds of startup my laptop thermal black screens, upon restarting the following error message comes up

The computer was previously shut down to avoid overheating. If the vents are blocked or the operating temperature exceeds the system specifications, overheating may occur. The computer will return to normal operation after the overheating condition is resolved.
System Temperature (90D)
ENTER - Continue Startup
Steps taken to trouble shoot the issue 

- Open laptop and clean CPU fans, cooler and componants
 - installed seperate RAM
 - replaced hard drive with SSD
 - Re-applied thermal paste, ensuring that there is enough mounting pressure for an even spread
 - Disconnected battery to reset bios
 - Booted laptop off battery power (Power supply diconnected)
 - Booted laptop bypassing battery (Battery physically disconnected)

The thermal shutdown occures even when heatpipes are cool enough to touch, in an airconed enviroment and always happens within 30 seconds of starting the boot sequence. 

I figure there is a temprature sensor that is malfunctioning, but I'm not sure if its an internal temprature senser of the CPU, or whether there is a temprature sensor on the motherboard that could be replaced by a referbishing centre.

Keen to hear if there is anythign else I can do to troubleshoot the issue and isolate the problem
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation