Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-ab271na K4E58EA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After getting help on here previously wondering about upgrades I’ve purchased 8gb more ram and a Crucial MX500 500GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5 inch 7mm (with 9.5mm adapter) Internal SSD    -Both of which are fully compatible with my laptop according to Crucials online checker...

After making the purchase I realised I’ve got to tackle copying everything from my current 1TB HDD (250gb of data including windows etc) to the 500gb SSD because I’m guessing there may be only one slot, then i might run into difficulty. 

any guidance you can give me or heads up on possible mishaps doing this, would be really appreciated 🙂 

*EDIT**

I’ve just read I can use a SATA-to-USB cable and can get one in the Crucial SSD Install Kit so I should be ok with that, would you say I should change my order and up it to 1TB SSD? I’ve probably had a max of 350gb used at one time in the past inc music, videos and programs, but if I have one drive i might eventually fill it and for n extra £35 

Also I’ve been advised that I should open the laptop to check the available hard drive slots but I was reluctant to until I do the install so I don’t have to undo it all several times and potentially break it.

Ive had a good look on crucial and they do list a m2 ssd part aswell as 2.5inch ssd parts available for it- This is listed under ‘Mass storage devices’ on a  manual for ‘Pavilion Notebook -Star Wars Special edition which mine isn’t a Star Wars one but this is the manual that comes up after searching on hp’s site for my laptop model, so I’m not sure if they’re exactly the same.  

‘I’m leaning towards hoping there’s 2 different slots, m2 and a SATA one?  If there is maybe I should change my order... but then again m2 is never listed on the crucial sites compatible upgrades search results..

except for ‘2.5inch & m5 500gb SSD’ being written towards the end of the video of the ssd I’ve purchased (in too much haste)

so again I’m left unsure of wether there’s 2 different slots at all?

🙏 

Lee

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi:

I'm not a fan of cloning drives unless they are of the same type (mechanical to mechanical or SSD to SSD).

I once cloned a mechanical hard drive to a SSD and Windows would not recognize the drive as a SSD when I used the optimize and defragment drives utility.  It wanted to defrag the SSD and not optimize (TRIM) the drive.  Defragging a SSD is a no-no.

Here is my recommendation...

Clean install W10 on the new SSD by making a W10 installation flash drive using the media creation tool at the link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

After W10 installs, you can install the drivers and available software from your notebook's support page.

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-15-Notebook-PC-series/8499306/model/904...

Before removing the hard drive, you should copy the SWSetup folder located in C:\SWSetup to a portable hard drive.

You do not need to reinstall it on the SSD, but always keep that folder someplace for safekeeping.

That contains the driver and program installation files that originally came with your notebook.

Some of the program installation files may not be offered for download on your notebook's support page.

Then go to your user profile and copy all of those folders to a portable hard drive (documents, favorites, music, downloads, videos, etc).

After you install W10, simply copy and paste those folders to your user profile on the SSD and they should overwrite the empty folders in your new user profile.

Reinstall any other programs you may need (make sure you have any applicable product keys), and you should be up and running in probably less than 2 hours unless you have a ton of programs you need to reinstall.

HP Recommended

Sorry I was half way through editing my original post when you replied, I’m kinda hoping there’s a 2nd hard drive slot but if not that will come in handy. Could you shed any light on my confusion with parts and slots? I think maybe I should bite the bullet and open up the laptop...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.