cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dreamcoil
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Pavilion DV6 power malfunction (presumably)

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion DV6 3101er
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
Hi. Bought a DV6 back in 2011, and used it as a stationary PC most of the time, ve-e-ery rarely unplugging the adapter. It was working perfectly fine so far, until troubling behavior started to appear two months ago. When trying to power it with adapter plugged in, it starts up (fan starts whirling at max speed, display lits up yet remains black) and randomly starts signaling about CPU or BIOS malfunction, one and two Caps Lock flashes respectively. When unplugged from the power grid, though, it starts fine, yet when I plug the adapter back into the laptop, after a dozen of seconds screen powers off (tried to look at it with flashlight - it completely shuts down, not just a backlit), audio powers off - both laptop's built-in speakers and anything connected through 3.5; USB and wireless LAN also powering down. Yet the fan keeps working. Laptop shows absolutely no reactions on anything, refuses to go into the Sleep mode, and only rebooting by long-pressing the power button helps. Sometimes, though, it kept working fine when I plugged the charger in, only to partially shutdown like I've specified above after 2-12 hours.
So i carried the laptop to the local technician two weeks ago, he said that it was trouble with the north bridge, charged me for it's replacement with a new one, and claimed that he solved the problem. After his repairing, laptop still refused to boot when plugged in, and random "partial shutdowns" didn't really went away, but seemedto occur more rarely, usually giving at least 4-6 hours of laptop usage. Now, the screen and everything else shuts down after a 3-4 seconds after plugging the charger in. Can someonehwlp me specify the problem? Maybe i'm not the one who encountered this type of problem? Yet Google shows nothing like it, sadly. And can it be the BIOS damage? Found a somewhat similar problem on the same DV6, where damaged BIOS caused random shutdowns when on battery.
Also, my laptop's battery is in bad condition - CMOS message about replacing it pops up every time I power the laptop on, but since i only use it as a stationary PC, i don't really need it at all, but laptop starts and generally works now from battery only. Counting that it refuses to proceed even to CMOS when starting from adapter battery-less, the problem isn't in battery itself. Neither i think it's in the CPU/GPU - never had any problems with it, never overheated the laptop too. So, i think, it may be the BIOS damage, adapter malfunction, or an A/C in... may it?
1 REPLY 1
Cheron-Z
Retired
Retired
4,444 4,336 250 492
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Dreamcoil

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation