Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion DV8 1080ea
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Our Pavilion DV8 is getting on now but does still work fairly well (good as a spare PC). I've worked around the well known internal Wifi problem by using a Netgear USB adaptor but I've never had success sorting out a replacement battery that actually worked so gave up.

Rather worryingly I still have the original battery installed in the laptop which hasn't held a charge for many years and it is starting to concern me it may start leaking at some point. I would like to know if it is safe to completely remove the battery and only run the laptop on the AC power connection?

The thing is, I'm sure I recall reading somewhere (way back when I bought it in 2008/2009) that the laptop should 'not' be used without the battery installed. I've recently found the manual again but can't find where I might have read that information. Needless to say I'd appreciate any advice from anyone who has completely removed their battery and is only using AC power without the laptop blowing up or something?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have UPS therefore I can say safe in my case but I don't know power supply situation in your country / area therefore I can't say safe or not.

It is ok to use AC w/o battery if - and only if - no unplanned power outage in your area. Because loosing power supply suddenly could cause unpredictable damages for your computer specially HDD.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have UPS therefore I can say safe in my case but I don't know power supply situation in your country / area therefore I can't say safe or not.

It is ok to use AC w/o battery if - and only if - no unplanned power outage in your area. Because loosing power supply suddenly could cause unpredictable damages for your computer specially HDD.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply on this 🙂

I can confirm I have now tried it with the battery removed and on AC power. Much to my relief nothing bad happened!

I will be glad to take the old battery to the local recycling centre. It's been bothering me for years...

It is a shame 'official' batteries from laptop manufacturers cost so much else I might have bought one years ago (quoted around £120 last time I checked and at that time the laptop itself wasn't worth that much!). Having said that, this DV8 is so old now I doubt there are any batteries for it available.

I once tried to buy a cheaper replacement battery off Amazon which the 3rd party seller had the HP model & battery number as supporting the DV8 but when I tried it there were all sorts of battery errors being reported in the task tray and the laptop wouldn't sleep properly. I then tried to return the battery via post, which the Royal Mail then confiscated as a 'banned' item (cuz it was a lithium battery). That whole ordeal put me of trying again... lol

Anyway, thanks again for replying to my query.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.