06-15-2014 04:09 PM
My Pavilion g6-1d18dx recently failed. The fans were running loudly for a while and then it started freezing up and shutting itself down. I reinstalled Windows and managed, despite all the stalls and imminent failure shutdowns, to get updates and SMART Check diagnostic reports: battery OK, RAM OK, disk & startup failure id: 60fa08-63d756-mfgk01-609703 product ID: a6y41ua#aba. Can I be sure that this is a HD failure and not a motherboard failure or a cooling issue? It was diagnosed as a motherboard failure by a local shop. I would hate to drop $70 on a replacement HD if that won't fix it. Can I run it off an external HD to see if there are other issues?
06-17-2014 01:09 PM
Welcome to the HP Support Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.
I saw your post regarding the Failure ID you received during the diagnostics check. That code does indicates a hard drive failure. You won't be able to run your notebook from an external hard drive unfortunately.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
I work on behalf of HP
- HP Notebook PCs - Reducing Heat Inside the PC to Prevent Overheating
- HP Notebook PCs - Computer Does Not Start and Emits an LED or Beep Code
- HP Notebook PCs - How to Power Reset your Laptop
- HP PCs - Computer Is Slow (Windows 10)
- HP Notebook PCs - Troubleshooting No LED Lights Glow During Startup or Boot