Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion 14-ce3600sa

I would like to add a second HDD to my laptop. A space is available and I have acquired two adapter cables but neither work?

I wondering if the connector on the motherboard is active or if there is something else that needs to be enabled to allow the second HDD to be found, currently nov visible in the bios and thus not available to windows.

Any suggestions??

Appreciated

JC

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@BauldyTwo

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Let's try to disable secure boot:

1. Turn off the computer.

2. Press the power button to turn on the computer, and then immediately press the Esc key repeatedly until the Startup Menu opens.

Startup Menu

3. Press F10 to open BIOS Setup.

4. Use the right arrow key to select System Configuration, use the down arrow key to select Boot Options, and then press Enter.

Boot Options selection in the System Configuration window

5. Check for Legacy Support in the list.

Boot options list including Legacy Support

• If Legacy Support is not listed, continue to the next step.

• If Legacy Support is listed and you are enabling Secure Boot, use the down arrow to select Legacy Support, press Enter, select Disabled, press Enter, and then continue to the next step.

• If Legacy Support is listed and you are disabling Secure Boot, continue to the next step.

6. Use the down arrow key to select Secure Boot, and then press Enter.

7. Use the down arrow key to select Enabled or Disabled depending on your requirements.

Enable Secure Boot

8. Press Enter to save the change.

• If you enabled Secure Boot, depending on your notebook, press F10 to save the changes and reboot, or use the left arrow key to select the File menu, use the down arrow key to select Save Changes and Exit, and then press Enter to select Yes to confirm the change.

• If you disabled Secure Boot, continue to the next step.

9. Use the arrow keys to select Legacy Support, press Enter to change the setting to Enable, press Enter, select Yes in the confirmation window, and then press Enter.

Confirmation window for enabling Legacy Support

10. Use the down arrow key to select a device in the Legacy Boot Order menu, and press F5 and F6 to move the device down or up.

Change Legacy Boot Order

11. Press F10 to accept the changes, use the left arrow key to select Yes, and then press Enter to Exit Saving Changes to restart the computer.

12. If an Operating System Boot Mode Change message displays, type the code shown, and then press Enter to start Windows.

note:Make sure you type the code correctly. There is no text field to see what you are typing. This is expected behavior.

Example of the four-digit code indicating the boot mode change

13. Turn off the computer, wait a few seconds, turn on the computer, and then immediately press Esc repeatedly until the Startup menu opens.

14. When the Startup Menu displays, press F9 to open the Boot Device Options.

Select Boot Device Options

15. When the Boot Manager Window opens, use the down arrow key to select a boot device, and then press Enter to start the computer from the selected device.

Select a boot device

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Echo_Lake

Thank you for your response but unfortunately its not answering the question posed.  You helpful explain how to change or select the boot device but thats not the question.

I am trying to install a second HDD/SSD using the second drive socket on the motherboard and the connected drive is not found in either Windows Disk Manager or the BIOS.

Whilst I appreciate the effort, your response hasn't helped, sorry!

HP Recommended

@BauldyTwo

Thank you for posting back. 

As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now.

I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I'm trying to add a SSD to a different 14inch HP,  so I'm interested in your issue.  You said you had 2 adapter cables.  The one you need is  L19172-001  according to service manual.   The ZIF sockets are fidly.  Are you happy the cable is in properly?  Does it have to appear in the BIOS?  Guess nothing in diskmgmt.msc   either.  I'd be really surprised if the BIOS specifically excluded the 2nd hard drive.  Perhaps there's later BIOS?  (take care upgrading the BIOS if you try it.) Good luck.

HP Recommended

Hi Musicrab

Thanks for your input, much appreciated. 

the cables are aftermarket versions of the HP part number you mention, apparently HP no longer supply that part so I have sourced two versions from different suppliers. 

I agree the zig is fiddly but I’m reasonably sure I have seated the cable correctly. 

I have tried various HDD/SSD formatted and virgin but nothing in disk manager.

im thinking that I’ve either been unlucky and have two faulty cables or the motherboard is in someway missing a jumper or something to allow the socket to work even a spiny HDD appears dead!!

but thanks anyway 

JC

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.