Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hp is **bleep**. Pavilion is **bleep**. I couldn't find out any useful link in the internet which solves the heating problem.

What is the point in killing all the services and letting the laptop run? I don't think I can live with this anymore. I am opting for Lenovo which handles all these issues better. 

These hp guys are pathetic. Totally a Sub standard product.

HP Recommended

+1 for never buying or recommending a HP product after dealing with the DV6 debacle.

I service computers for a living, and I have at least 20 of these dogs lying under my stairs, all dead because of the poor cooling design features, and nothing has changed over the years of them knowing about the problem, HP have done nothing. Dead wireless cards, dead video chips, and other heat related issues.

I have just dismantled this one, soldered a copper shim to the heatsink pipes, put proper thermal paste  between the GPU and the heatsink pipes, removed some filters from the base of the unit that appear to restrict what little airflow there is, cleaned the heatsink and fan, updated the BIOS, reduced the maximum power state to 95% power, and am using a $5 cooling pad to get it off the ground, and hopefully push a little air through this thing.

Idle temp is now 42 degrees (down from 48 without the cooling pad) so I disagree with the OP, cooling pads can help, if you allow the air in. Under full load, it runs mid 60's, but that is not bad compared to before when the temps were mid 70's at idle, 90's under load, and after 5 minutes of load, thermal shutdown would occur.

I agree, total rubbish product, total rubbish service, should be a class action against HP for this model laptop.

HP Recommended

I've decided to throw that notorious laptop and planning to buy thinkpad t440s.

[Content Removed]

HP Recommended

Oh come on fellow users. I could see the consternation in hp's face. The worst laptop maker ever. They've removed the content which reveals hp's original expansion. If they could show their adroitness in fixing the laptop instead things would ve been better. I'll definitely spread the word, DON'T BUY HP. NOT EVEN THEIR MOUSE. THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT IS MEANT BY QUALITY AND CUSTOMER SATISFACTION.

Remove this content too if you wish, but in the Internet world you can't stop it. The more you try to curb it, the more viral it'd become.

Long live hp laptops in the garage and in the e waste bins.

HP Recommended

The post is 4 years old, so my answer may not be of use to the OP.

I had the overheating problem.  I first tried setting the power settings.  On on profiles, I set the min at 5%, lots of other laptops do that.  For the max, I set it from 75% to 95%, depending on profile.  Still ran hot as hell.  I decided to try opening, cleaning the fan, and changing the heat sink compound to IC Diamond, the current best product.  Seems to have helped a lot.  But, I broke the clip for the keyboard ribbon cable, it is easy to break!  I taped it in, and it seems to be holding for now.  I may need to take it to a laptop repair shop.

HP Recommended

Yeah well. I recently decided to renovate mine again. 

The main issue with this model is the dust accumulating between the fan and the heatsink. It builds up and clogs up all airflow.

The best solution is to use airpressure frequently to keep it dust free.

If it has been running hot for a long time it will also benefit from new cooling paste, I replaced mine with some arctic mx2.

I also replaced my batteri so now the computer is running like new. 

HP Recommended

On mine, there was less dust than I was expecting.  Yeah, there was some, but, it honestly didn't look to me like it was enough to be a problem.  But, maybe I am wrong.  In any case, yes, dusting it out with air occassionally is not a bad idea.

In any case, the left side of the laptop still gets a bit warm, but not nearly as hot as it did.  So, for a summary of what all I did:

1.  Changed power settings such that min was 5% on all profiles, set max from 75% to 95% depending on profile.

2.  Replaced paste with IC Diamond.  I did also use the Artic Silver's cleaning solutions to prepare it for new paste.

3.  Cleaned out the dust, though, it didn't look too bad to me, but, certainly probably helps.

HP Recommended
Im running on full power most of the time without issue, mind you that the dust Im talking about is not really visible or accessible without either a long needle or airpressure. Its almost like a layer of fabric.
HP Recommended

Given that I removed the fan and heat sink, it was accessible.  And, yeah, I know how dust tends to accumulate on fans, and assorted devices that gets the airflow. It didn't see that bad.  But, yeah, there was some and I cleaned it.

I wish I didn't break the clip for the keyboard cable.  But it is working okay for now.

HP Recommended

I have a problem when i adjust my power management setting to 80% both battery and plugin it reduce my processor heating but when i shut down my pc and the next time i started my pc   .....""" my pc is unable to start the window i don't know what happens to it now what can  i do to start my window???""""......please answer me....quickly???as possible

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.