Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv7-4080us
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have upgraded to windows 10 and now want to upgrade my memory from 6 gig. Is the maximum recommended just 8 gig?

Also, is it better to upgrade with 2 4 gig new sticks that match....or is it safe to upgrade the 2 gig to 4 gig which might not match manufacturer or speed.

thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

8 gigs is the maximum. It is DDR3-1333. 

4-GB memory module 599092-001

https://www.amazon.com/HP-VH641AT-4-GB-DDR3-PC3-10600/dp/B0030L3B8E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=146686162...

Memory is so inexpensive right now I suggest getting 2 x 4 gig new matched modules so you can be sure it will run in dual channel mode. That laptop series with the 1st gen Intel Core processor is very finicky about memory. It has to be low density 8 black blocks per side. You can mix manufacturers but you do not want to mix speeds or densities. 

If you toss the 2 gig chip and install another module with correct specifications you will also be OK. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

NO that is high density and WILL NOT Work. See the 4 blocks on the side instead of 8?

HP Recommended

Thanks for your advice.

Going with your suggestion.

HP Recommended

Do I need to do anything special for the new memory to "run in dual channel mode"?

HP Recommended

No it is automatic if you put in two modules that are identical or "close enough"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.