Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion g7
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I typically keep my laptop plugged into AC power whenever I'm using it, and transport it in Sleep mode with the lid closed whenever I'm taking it on a trip.  The laptop is 4 years old and the battery isn't holding a charge as well as it used to, so it'll go from 100% down to ~50% when it's in Sleep for maybe a 6 hour trip.  I just moved to a new state and left it in Sleep mode in my laptop bag for more than 24 hours, which (presumably) took the battery down to 0%.  Now that I'm unpacking and back up and running, the indicator in the system tray constantly reads "plugged in, not charging" with 8% battery (but it was 9% yesterday).  However, the laptop powers off immediately whenever I unplug it from AC power, even with the lid closed in Sleep mode.  I've tried several different outlets and a spare charging cable but can't get the battery to start charging.  I know the battery is old and may need to be replaced, but I suspect that it could also be a software or sensor failure because the battery drained while it was in Sleep mode maybe?  I've tried a few other troubleshooting steps online (cleaning the battery contacts and reseating it, updating battery drivers, removing the battery from Device Manager and rebooting) but nothing's fixed it.  The laptop still runs fine on AC power with the battery removed.  Any ideas to try before I give a replacement battery a shot?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you for joining in on the HP Support Forums and Welcome @jwenskovitch, 

I read your post and I understand that you are losing battery power while the Notebook is in Sleep Mode. You said that your battery is not holding a charge.

Please make sure that there is nothing externally connected to the Notebook (other than the AC Power Adapter). 

Computer battery life varies, depending on power management settings, programs running on the computer, screen brightness, external devices connected to the computer, and other factors. To learn more about how to Improve Battery Performance, please follow the document provided in the hyperlink. 

Do you have anything connected to the Notebook?

Have you tried putting the Notebook on a power saver mode?

If your notebook computer battery does not Hold a Charge, you can try to troubleshoot the battery to see if it needs to be replaced. Sometimes, the battery could need to be re calibrated. There is a document called Testing and Calibrating the Battery. You can use the steps in this document to find out the condition of the battery you currently have and see if it has any suggestions.

Using the HP Support Assistant is great because you can use the HP Battery Check tool also. 

Here is the Sleep and Hibernate Issues documentation. It may help you find out why your battery is draining while in Sleep Mode.

When we have come to a resolution, please share what worked for you with others by marking this post as an Accepted Solution. If you would like to show you appreciation for my efforts today, please take a second to click the Thumbs Up button below. 

If you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to continue to help you. Please just re-post with detailed results of the troubleshooting, your Model Number (How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?) and any other information you think may help me to assist you better.

Have a great day! Smiley Happy

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Thank you for joining in on the HP Support Forums and Welcome @jwenskovitch, 

I read your post and I understand that you are losing battery power while the Notebook is in Sleep Mode. You said that your battery is not holding a charge.

Please make sure that there is nothing externally connected to the Notebook (other than the AC Power Adapter). 

Computer battery life varies, depending on power management settings, programs running on the computer, screen brightness, external devices connected to the computer, and other factors. To learn more about how to Improve Battery Performance, please follow the document provided in the hyperlink. 

Do you have anything connected to the Notebook?

Have you tried putting the Notebook on a power saver mode?

If your notebook computer battery does not Hold a Charge, you can try to troubleshoot the battery to see if it needs to be replaced. Sometimes, the battery could need to be re calibrated. There is a document called Testing and Calibrating the Battery. You can use the steps in this document to find out the condition of the battery you currently have and see if it has any suggestions.

Using the HP Support Assistant is great because you can use the HP Battery Check tool also. 

Here is the Sleep and Hibernate Issues documentation. It may help you find out why your battery is draining while in Sleep Mode.

When we have come to a resolution, please share what worked for you with others by marking this post as an Accepted Solution. If you would like to show you appreciation for my efforts today, please take a second to click the Thumbs Up button below. 

If you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to continue to help you. Please just re-post with detailed results of the troubleshooting, your Model Number (How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?) and any other information you think may help me to assist you better.

Have a great day! Smiley Happy

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

I worked my way through these steps until I got to the HP Battery Check step, which informed me that there was indeed a physical problem with my battery.  I just received my replacement in the mail, and the replacement is charging.  Thanks!

HP Recommended

Yay!

No worries! I am glad that I was able to help! 

Take care 🙂 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.