SquareWheeler
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Pavilion laptop battery failures

14-al061nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Pavilion laptop is only 2 1/2 years old, but I'm on my third battery (fourth, if you include the replacement battery HP sent me that was DOA) and this one is failing, too. None has lasted more than a year. The chief symptom is that they won't fully charge. A couple of them would display the message, "Plugged in, not charging" even though it was well under 100% charged.

In each case, I ran the battery "Battery Check" diagnostic in the HP Support Assistant. It has always said "The battery is reporting a failure and needs to be replaced as soon as possible." The most recent time I ran the diagnostic on the same battery that had previously reported a failure, however, it said "The battery is functioning correctly, but it needs to be calibrated." Unfortunately, calibrating involves charging the battery to 100%, which it won't do.

I tried calling HP support, hoping they'd actually support their products (every battery I've bought has been "HP genuine") but I got the run-around from seven different reps.

Does anyone have any ideas I can try before I break down and buy yet another battery, this time from a third party?

1 REPLY 1
19,135 14,470 300 1,130
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Pavilion laptop battery failures

@SquareWheeler

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation