Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 12 (1,185 Views)

Pavilion m6 1035dx touchpad

Took my pavilion m6 into a computer repair shop to get the fan fixed a while ago. After the guy fixed the fan he said there was a windows update which he wasn't able to stop. The touchpad stopped working after that. He assured me he checked the connection and it was all good hardware wise. He said the only reason the touchpad would not be working is because of the windows update. He reset it to a date before any repairs but it still does not work. I've tried reinstalling the driver with no luck. I have no idea what else to try
0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 12 (1,177 Views)

Re: Pavilion m6 1035dx touchpad

Hi,

Shut down the notebook and disconnect any peripheral devices. Tap away at f8 as you soon as you press the power button to enter Windows Recovery Console.  Use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode and hit enter.  When this has loaded, does the touchpad work with Windows running in this mode?

To exit Safe Mode, just restart the notebook.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

Honor Student
Message 3 of 12 (1,167 Views)

No luck in safe mode either

Provost
Message 4 of 12 (1,158 Views)

Hi,

This would tend to point towards a hardware problem with the touchpad as a generic pointing driver will have been loaded in Safe Mode.

Try the following and let me know.

Shut down the notebook, unplug the AC Adapter and then remove the battery.  Hold down the Power button for 30 seconds.  Re-insert the battery and plug in the AC Adapter.

Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to launch the Start-up Menu and then select f10 to enter the bios menu.  Press f5 to load the defaults ( this is sometimes f9, but the menu at the bottom will show the correct key ), use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.  Press f10 to save the setting and again use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

Honor Student
Message 5 of 12 (1,151 Views)

That didn't work either unfortunately
Provost
Message 6 of 12 (1,148 Views)

Hi,

Shutdown the notebook.  Tap away at the esc key as soon as you press the power button to launch the Start-up Menu and then select the Diagnostic Menu ( f2 ).  Are you able to move the pointer via the touchpad in this menu?

If it still doesn't work, I'd suggest taking it back to the person who fixed the original issue with the fan, as it looks like a hardware problem.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

Honor Student
Message 7 of 12 (427 Views)

I realize this is an old thread, but the touch pad mainboard connection is under the hard drive. If the ribbon cable is left unseated the touch pad mouse will not work. Take the back cover off and remove the 4 screws mounting the hard drive. The connection is to the right of the where the hard drive sits. 

Student
Message 8 of 12 (394 Views)

SOLVED IT FOR ME!! Re: Pavilion m6 1035dx touchpad

Thank you for the awesome post about the touchpad issue.  Solved my problem!  I had gone in and replaced the cooling fan in my 1035DX and after putting it all together, everything worked--except the laptop touchpad!!

Anyway, I removed the four hard disk screws, and sure enough, I had not gotten the ribbon cable as fully into the socket as needed.  It took a little extra work to get the ribbon cable in there just right, but I got it in a little better, more snugly than before, and flipped down the locking bail on the cable.  Powered up the laptop, and...  working trackpad!!  Yay!!

Thanks again for an on-target and helpful post that solved my problem.

Top Student
Message 9 of 12 (334 Views)

Re: SOLVED IT FOR ME!! Re: Pavilion m6 1035dx touchpad

[ Edited ]

Thank you for your reply, i bought a new hard drive for my HP Pavilion m6 and the touchpad stopped working, then reopened the cover and saw the cable unplugged, i plugged it and connected the hard drive and booted the system, it showed a message stating "SYSTEM DETECTED THAT COOLING FAN MAY NOT WORK PROPERLY, WE RECOMMEND YOU TO SHUTDOWN THE SYSTEM OR PRESS ENTER TO CONTINUE". i pressed enter but touchpad still doesn't work. 

any solution??

Thanks

Mahmood Fahim

Honor Student
Message 10 of 12 (319 Views)

The touch pad cable not seated properly or twisted is likely the issue as there is only one connection. The cooling fan issue, either the fan itself has a bad cable has failed or is not plugged into its connection the main board. I would open it back up and patiently check all connections. Do you hear the fan spinning? Do you feel warm air at the exhaust port?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation