Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
X360 13-s150sa (energy star)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi Guys,

Been trawling through the community for some help with regards an upgrade for my daughters HP X360 laptop but not come across a conclusive answer for this model yet so before splashing out on an upgrade I wanted some expert advice.

It currently has a 128GB M2 SATA SSD (Samsung MZ-NLF1280) which is to small now. I have looked at installing a slave 2.5" SSD for extra storage but unfortunately there is no ZIF socket where it should be on the MB (to my anger):-(

So my question is what is the largest upgrade M2 SATA SSD that this MB will handle. Looking through the manual doesn't really help as all it states is supports 'M2 SATA -3, 128MB triple level Cell'

Attached below is a photo of the installed M2 SSD

Thanks in advance guys and Hope someone can help!!

Lauryns Lappy SSD.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Crucial is not my favorite brand for M.2 SSDs. I recommend the Samsung 860 Evo M.2, but a bit pricier and the Crucial WILL work for you. The image you posted shows a 2280 form factor. You can measure to be sure. 22mm wide and 80 mm long. 2280 is really the only form factor currently in use. You have to go back several years to find laptops using 2242 or 2260. 

And the USB to SATA M.2 adapter will work. Clone with the 128 in the laptop and the new larger drive outside. Use proportional resizing of partitions or you will wind up with a large block of unused space on the new disk. 

Let us know if you need any more info. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Yes you can install a larger capacity SATA M.2 SSD. Can't be PCIe/NVME. There is no limit on the capacity. You could go 2 TB and I think I have seen 4 TB SATA M.2 but hard to find. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WD-Blue-NAND-Internal-SATA/dp/B073SBW3VD/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=4tb+m.2+ssd&qi...

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

Hi Huffer and thanks for the quick reply.

Now to my next question please.  I'm aware I'll need to clone the original M2 as there is no way of adding a second one so I need to purchase a USB to M2 adapter so if I get any SATA one I take it these will work?

I was going to get a crucial M2 drive as I've always upgraded my desktops through them so could you confirm that this drive listed on the link will be compatible. My concern is the form factor. I believe the original is a type 1280 where as in the link it's 2280.

https://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/ct500mx500ssd4

Thanks for any further advice.

HP Recommended

Crucial is not my favorite brand for M.2 SSDs. I recommend the Samsung 860 Evo M.2, but a bit pricier and the Crucial WILL work for you. The image you posted shows a 2280 form factor. You can measure to be sure. 22mm wide and 80 mm long. 2280 is really the only form factor currently in use. You have to go back several years to find laptops using 2242 or 2260. 

And the USB to SATA M.2 adapter will work. Clone with the 128 in the laptop and the new larger drive outside. Use proportional resizing of partitions or you will wind up with a large block of unused space on the new disk. 

Let us know if you need any more info. 

HP Recommended

Ok Huffer. Based on that I'll get measuring, look at the Samsung drive price and get ordering. Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly when I switch over...…...

Thanks for all the help its been much appreciated.

HP Recommended

Hello

I am looking to use my laptop (13-s150sa) for the Oculus Rift S VR headset but need to improve storage and Graphics Card

I have ordered the 1TB SSD upgrade as recommended by Huffer (Many Thanks) 

(https://www.amazon.co.uk/WD-Blue-NAND-Internal-SATA/dp/B073SBW3VD/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=4tb+m.2+ssd&qi...)

I now need recommendations please for the Graphics Card

It needs to be NVIDIA GTX 1060/AMD Radeon RX 480 or greater

Help please?

Thanks

HP Recommended

It is not going to be possible to use that laptop as an OR platform. The video chip is soldered in and cannot be removed or in any way upgraded. You have no Thunderbolt port to attach an eGPU. 

HP Recommended

Hi. I have the same issue. I notice that the existing card is keyed for both B and M but the connection socket on the motherboard is only keyed at one side. How do I find out if this is a B key or an M key. I also habitually use Crucial for my upgrades. Their scanner says I need a 2.5 inch disk but this is based on the HP manual available online which only covers models up to 099. I guess the 150 has a different motherboard. I note that you say the upgrade can't be PCIe or NVME. I don't actually know what that means so I am wary of choosing the wrong upgrade wherever I get it. Can you point me in the direction of an explanation or the correct manual for the motherboard in my machine. Thank you.

HP Recommended

An M.2 slot is an M.2 slot. Either a "M" keyed or a "B + M" keyed SSD will fit into the slot. There is no Manual for the motherboard as such but if you give the specific model we can find you the service manual that covers your model. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for your continuing support.

I have resolved my immediate issue by installing the Crucial module mentioned in the previous thread. Very easy to do and works wonderfully.

The underlying issue remains, which is that the Crucial System Scanner gives the wrong result because the link on the HP page for my model points to the wrong manual. My model no is 13-s150sa. The part no is N7H15EA#ABU. The serial number of my unit is 8CG5392RV8.

If you put this information into the HP support page, or allow the auto detection process to detect the unit the webpage that comes up has a link to the manual for units up to 13-s099sa. These units have a standard 2.5 inch form factor hard drive attached to a standard SATA port on the motherboard. My unit, as discussed above, has an M.2 SATA connector on the motherboard and an adapter unit fitted in the 2.5in bay to take an M.2 SATA drive. The unit came with a 128 GB drive and I have now successfully upgraded to a 1Tb unit.

It would be very helpful if you could send me a link to the correct manual covering my unit. I would like to read it and also pass the link to my contact at Crucial so that they can fix their scanner. It would also be extremely helpful if HP could correct the link on the support website.

Once again, thank you for your ongoing support, it is much appreciated. I could only order my upgrade part with confidence because of the quality of your guidance.

Ian  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.