Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hi, I was working on my laptop. It suddenly went off. All lights gone, doesn’t charge, doesn’t come on. I have tried different power cords, no charging lights, no sign of charging. I tried to take out the battery. Still no success.

help needed please

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

I tried to diagnose it. The technician said it wasn’t a power supply issue but a motherboard issue.  This laptop is my all. I am a student and my warranty expired just a few months back. Help please

HP Recommended

The technician is very likely correct. Not sure what you were doing when it went off, but you are describing what happens when there is a static shock to the motherboard. 

HP Recommended

I was filling a survey. I had just plugged it in because the battery was low. 

HP Recommended

I misunderstood "working on" I thought you meant you had it disassembled. Have you had the adapter tested for output? The symptoms also might point to the battery just running completely out. Have you tried a hard reset? 

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_1997208-1551050-16

Removing and reinstalling the battery generally serves as a hard reset, however. 

If it is a known good AC adapter and a hard reset does not bring it back I'm sorry to say it is likely a dead motherboard. 

HP Recommended

Yes I have tried a hard reset.

what can I do about a dead motherboard?

any solutions asides buying a new one. I am so so frustrated about this.

HP Recommended

There are advanced repair shops that sell their services on eBay and can "rework" a motherboard at the chip level. The cost is around $100-150 and I have successfully had friends and relatives with budget challenges send their laptops off to such services with pretty good success. They don't charge if they can't fix it so all you risk is shipping, If you want, I will find a couple and link you or you can just search "laptop motherboard repair" on eBay. A new motherboard with labor out of warranty will be at least $350. Good luck. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.