06-14-2019 02:16 PM
Hi, I have Pavilion 15cs1003ur. And I replaced the complect SSD by the Samsung 970 EVO plus 1TB.
I updated all the motherboard and chipset drivers (by HP Support Assistent utility), updated Windows, install special NVMe driver for Samsung SSD.
But at performance test i got only half speed 1700 MB/sec for read and write versus 3200 expected.
I tested the write speed with utilities:
- Samsung Magician
Samsung Magician shows that the drive is connected at PCI-E 3.0 x4 mode.
Ok, so i have a few quwstions:
- What speed does m.2 slot work in this line of laptops?
- Do other owners of this laptops have similar problems?
- What I can check additionally to identify the problem?
06-14-2019 05:06 PM - edited 06-14-2019 05:07 PM
The Samsung Magician software would not misreport. Its a gen 3 x4 interface. I have seen the same thing on my Zbook 15 G3 where I can only get about 2100 mbps out of an Evo 970 even though it is a x4 interface. My personal Lenovo Carbon x1 Gen 6 with an Evo 970 will do 3200 mbps +. I am just not sure what's happening other than perhaps throttling by design of the motherboard. BTW, I am fully happy with my Zbook 15 G3. 2100 Mbps is still insanely fast.
06-16-2019 03:08 PM
I want to note that:
- This is not thermal throttling, the temperature of the test disk does not exceed 70 degrees
- Maximum speed around testing around 1700-1800 MB / s. And it seems that only two PCI-e 3.0 lines can be used: 8 Gbit / s x 2 = 2 GB / s.
I would like to receive a comment from the manufacturer.