Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Good day/night! I'm having trouble with my Pavillion laptop. For some reason, it can't complete the new updates. It would hit 100% and then says 'Can't complete updates' and cleans up. I haven't used half of the laptop's memory so it isn't a memory issue. I've been looking for solutions but nothing worked. Now part of the keyboard is starting to have issues. I can't use certain combos like shift+p, 0, and etc and it's difficult to make a 'p', '0', or a single quote appear now. I have to press the key multiple times just to make it appear once! I tried looking for new drivers, resetting the BIOS, and going to forums to fix the issue, but the keyboard is still having problems. I'm assuming this issue is because of my laptop's inability to complete updates.

This is the first time my laptop is having this issue. I have had it for 4 years now. While I know age plays a part, I believe these problems would have happened gradually over time. This started happening at the beginning of this month. I'm not sure if this is due to the last update it downloaded or something else. All help is appreciated, especially since this is my laptop for college, which is starting soon! Thank you for your time.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Unikidd 

My own guess is that these two issues are coincidental only. Neither is due to drivers or to the BIOS -- so don't think about forcing any kind of BIOS update as that will only trash the laptop.

Windows Updates can fail for any number of reasons, and we here are not equipped to diagnose or repair individual problems.  IF you read the info below on Windows Update reset, that might fix the issue:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/24742-reset-windows-update-windows-10-a.html

As to the keyboard, Here's some troubleshooting steps you can try regarding the keyboard issue: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03738933

If the laptop keyboard simply does not work, then you will have to plug in an external keyboard and see if you can run the tests using that.

If you are experienced at laptop repairs, you can often replace a keyboard for $25 for a new one and a half-hours work -- but this is only true for on older HP laptops where the keyboard is held on with a few screws.

But with the newer laptops, there is a serious risk of breaking fragile connectors and cables doing this because you have to disassemble the whole laptop. So. I do not recommend it. Instead, I would recommend you hunting down a local laptop repair place to have THEM replace the keyboard. Sometimes, on some models, you have to replace the entire top surface of the laptop, not just the keyboard. So you should get an estimate of what is involved before you have the work done.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hello! Thanks for replying! I tried uninstalling the Windows 10 update but the bat file never completed its run so I couldn't complete the rest of the steps. I tried uninstalling the updates by going to Settings but that didn't work either. I tried downloading the Hardware Diagnostic program but the .exe file opens the Command Prompt and nothing happens. I already tried deleting the keyboards from the Device Manager but that only worked for a short amount of time.  Is there something else I can try to fix these issues? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.