Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Please need help upgrading my wifi card

HP Pavilion DM 4 notebook A6x73ua
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
HP Pavilion DM 4 Notebook A6x73ua
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-Bit)

Tried to upgrade to what I thought would be an ok wifi  card an intel 7260HMW  turns out that might not work after all. I downloaded all the drivers, installed the new card booted up only to see "SYSTEM HAS DETERMINED A WIRELESS MODULE IN THE SYSTEM IS NOT SUPPORTED PLEASE REMOVE THE DEVICE AND RESTART" this followed by a WLAN Module ID (702) is there something I can do? or did I tank on this one? Is there a way or another wifi upgrade out there for this model? Any help would be appreciated. I have 2 very old machines I would rather upgrade my desktop then my laptop. So I am hoping to at least get some better wifi speeds right now I can only get 2.4 band. 

Thanks, 

4 REPLIES 4
Level 17
Level 17
41,615 41,400 6,554 11,403
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Your DM4 is old enough that is has the old HP BIOS whitelist which severely restricts your wireless card options. Post back if you wish to discuss further. 

0 Kudos
st8ting8
4 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

yes I would like to know what options if any 

0 Kudos
Level 17
Level 17
41,615 41,400 6,554 11,403
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

A usb wireless card is always an option and probably the best one I am sorry to say. Otherwise I need the full model or product number to pull up the Manual and you will have to use one of the wifi cards originally offered on your model from the factory. 

st8ting8
4 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thank you The one I have now still works and is the original one, so no problem there I was just looking to upgrade rather then purchasing a new laptop. So I will continue to use this one until it gives up the ghost, I do appreciate your help should have asked before purchasing the new wifi card....oh well just out $20.00 could have been a lot worse. 

Thanks again!!!

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation