Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Envy 360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have the Envy 360 convertible with the AMD processor and graphics.  I have been having an issue with my pointer shooting over to the right corner of the screen for no reason.  Either while I'm using it, or after it sits idle for a few seconds.  I also notice a little symbol that replaces my pointer when this happens.  It looks like a little circle with cross-hairs on it.  It is very annoying. This is when I am in desktop mode.

I've actually sent my computer into HP for service and they replaced the touch pad, but this did not fix the problem.  Has anyone else had the issue, or know of a way to fix it?  I'm actually starting to think this is a touchscreen issue. I've updated all drivers and have had this issue since day one.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@JPiz,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I reviewed your post and I understand that the cursor moves on its own.

I’d love to help!

This issue could also occur when there is a virus or malware on your computer.

I recommend you to run a full scan on your computer and make sure there are no viruses or malware. For malware, you can also use malware bite and run that on your computer.

If the issue persists, then follow the steps in the below article.

http://hp.care/2qkQWr6

Let me know how it goes and you have a good day ahead.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 

Take care!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This is not the issue.  It has been a problem since I first turned it on.  I have run virus scans multiple times without it finding anything.  I also have malware blockers and the latest virus protection.  I believe it is a hardware or software issue with the screen, or a hardware or software issue with the graphics card.  I doubt it's a Windows issue, but I can't rule that out.

It is like the screen is sensing me touching it when I'm not.  I think the term is "ghosting."

HP Recommended

@JPiz You have a point, I suggest you disable the touchpad, use an alternate/external mouse and check if that works fine, if it does, the touchpad requires a replacement again, however, if the issue occurs while using the mouse as well, this could be a touchscreen failure, here's how we could identify the same:

• Check if it works fine on the BIOS screen to identify if it's either a hardware or a software issue:
    • If it works fine on the BIOS (Accessed while tapping F10 during a restart) it's a software issue & I suggest creating a new user account to check if that works better, for starters)
    • However, if it doesn't work within the BIOS either, I'm afraid it's a hardware malfunction and you'll need to Contact HP to have it repaired.
  • Does the mouse work fine? it doesn't go around randomly clicking things does it? perhaps check with an alternate mouse to rule that out as well?

While you respond to that, I have a few more steps that should help:

Attempt to run a test from the HP hardware diagnostic tool, using this link: https://hp.care/2yTWjBQ (for details).

If the Touch screen isn't appearing on the diagnostics, it could again, determine a hardware failure,

If it works on bios & the hardware tests passed: please update the BIOS & Chip-set drivers from the HP website using this link

if the issue persists, reinstall windows using the recovery partition or the recovery media to fix the issue, use this link for details on performing the recovery: https://hp.care/2LwsGNj

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response.  I have not had time to go through all of the steps you listed.  However, I did connect my wireless mouse and disabled the clickpad and so far, it seems to have stopped the problem.  However, I'd like to give it a day or two to see if it has definitely stopped the problem.  When I have some free time in the next few days, I will follow the other steps you suggested and reply with the results.  Hopefully that will correct the issue.  Even though I can use my external mouse, I'd still like my computer to work the way it is supposed to.

Follow up question.  If the clickpad replacement did not work the first time; why would replacing it again work?  It seems to me to be an issue with something other then the clickpad.

HP Recommended

@JPiz,

Thank you for keeping me posted.

Please post your results, as I will be looking forward to hearing from you.

Good day!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

So I followed most of the steps from Riddle_Decipher's post.  I'm not sure what starting the BIOS via the F10 button was supposed to do since I can't use the mouse or touchscreen anyway.  I did run the hardware diagnostic tool, the short test.  It did not come up with anything.  I already have the most recent BIOS update installed, so I did not do anything there. I also did not reinstall Windows as I did not want to deal with that, nor create a new user account.  I did however do some extensive digging in my Device Manager to find that neither HP or Windows notified me of some updates; not related to the pointer.  I updated those.

Since I have connected my external mouse, the issue has been much less of a nuisance.  I have the click-pad disabled when it is connected.  The pointer will still fly off to the corner of the screen sometimes and occasionally minimize a window I have open, but it has been reduced considerably.  It's almost a non issue.  However, I would still like to know what is causing this and have it fixed.  I also rolled back the update for the click-pad and then reinstalled the latest update.  However, being that the pointer still migrates with the click-pad disabled and it has already been replaced, I do not believe the problem is the click-pad.  It is either a Windows issue, an issue with the touchscreen, or the driver for the mouse or whatever controls the movement of the pointer on the screen.  I'm leaning towards touchscreen.  That it is erroneously detecting a touch to the right corner of the screen.  Is there an update for that or a patch possibly, assuming its not a hardware issue?

I was also thinking if its the mouse driver, to delete and reinstall the driver.  Is it possible to delete HID-compliant mouse from the device manager, and then reinstall it?  I was afraid if I did that I wouldn't be able to get it back then I would have no use of a mouse.  I was looking for HP's guidance on that before I do that. 

HP Recommended

@JPiz The BIOS is not driver dependent, so if you tap F10 during a restart and enter BIOS, use the touchscreen on it and it works, it would confirm that this is not a hardware malfunction but a software/driver issue in Windows, hence, I suggest you give that a shot and if it works fine in the BIOS screen, I suggest you create a new user account to check if it works on it, not to use permanently (no data loss, involved), also, if it works in the other user account, it may be a glitch on the old account, so you can transfer the data to the new account and delete the old one.

Please follow the above steps and get back to me with the results,

P.S: you can delete the HID-complaint mouse drivers and when you restart the device, it should automatically reinstall the drivers.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

So far nothing has worked to fix this issue.  I have run all test and followed all steps you suggested.  I am at the next step of reinstalling Windows.  I hate that I have to do this as I will have to reinstall everything again.  I've done all of the other steps and even thought maybe it was certain apps, but they all have the same issue.

I have learned however that this issue seems to be more prevalent when I am using a website or app that draws a lot of RAM.  IE YouTube, high draw websites, etc.  There have been times on certain websites that it becomes unusable because my pointer keeps minimizing the screen or just shows an annoying dot either flashing in and out of existence until I move the mouse, or it just stays on the screen, or it is jumping all over the place.  I am at a loss as to what is causing this other then it is a Windows issue, I have bad RAM, or my computer is faulty on some other hardware component and needs to be replaced.  

I will update you after I reinstall Windows, but my suspicion is that this will not work.  If not, I'd like to discuss the replacement of my computer as it is currently under warranty. 

HP Recommended

@JPiz,

Thank you for keeping me posted.

I recommend you reinstall the operating system and I am positive that it should take care of the issue.

Good day!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.