Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.
RichKay66 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Power button not turning Stream Notebook on

HP Stream Notebook 11 -r005na
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hi Folks. I have a 13 month old Stream Notebook. The power button has stopped working. There is power to the unit according the LED indicator next to the power socket. Tried 15 second hard reset, no joy there. Typically the warranty expired 6 weeks ago. Sounds broke to me! Any suggestions?

2 REPLIES
Professor
Professor
1571 133 297
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Try holding down the Windows logo key along with the B key when switching on the power to reset the BIOS.

If that does not work, leave it unplugged from power until the battery completely discharges to reset the BIOS.

Someone recently solved a similar problem here on the Stream although it was not completely clear to me how they fixed it.

0 Kudos
RichKay66 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestion. Sadly it didn't work. I also have no way of telling if the battery is completely flat as my notebook won't turn on whther its plugged into the mains or not. Its not a removeable battery. Process of elimination says that its the power button not making the internal connection it needs to recieve the power. Considering it was working fine the night before, that's pretty poor for a 13 month old machine.

I maybe clutching at straws here but when I did use it the previous evening, it was the first time I'd used it in 6 months. I tried turning it on without the mains lead and nothing happened. I assumed that the battery had gone flat so I plugged it into the mains and hey presto, it worked.

It then said that there was a Windows 10 upgrade waiting to download so I let that happen, it still worked fine after the restart. I used it for a couple of hours,  then shut it down as normal. Came to use it again in the morning and thats when I got nothing from either battery or mains.

Considering it was showing fully charged when I'd been using it the previous evening I realised it couldn't really be the battery and then when I plugged it in and still got nothing even with the LED indicator by the mains lead socket on and showing it was receiving power, I posted my query.

It really does look like the power button has simply stopped working. It didn't take a knock or anything like that when I'd put it away so.......

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation