Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 8 (125 Views)

Power indicator light OFF even though battery charge light ON and charging

Product Name: dv6-1359wm
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This just started happening recently. The power indicator light (near the power plug) does not turn on and Windows does not recognize when the adapter is plugged in; the power icon and cusomized power saving "on battery" behavior reflect that.

HOWEVER, the battery does charge. The "lightning bolt" charging light on the front between HDD and system power lights comes on and the battery recharges if not at 100%.

Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this? Is it more likely a Windows or hardware problem? The BIOS does not have the power adapter test mentioned here, and I could not find the software download for the Smart Adapter functionality (this laptop was installed with clean, non-OEM OS, so any OEM software had to be added manually).

Thanks in advance,

Kyle

HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 8 (96 Views)

Re: Power indicator light OFF even though battery charge light ON and charging

Hi @EvilKyle

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query in this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that the AC adapter light is not coming on when the adapter is connected but the battery is getting charged.

I’d love to help!

Follow the steps in the below article and check if it helps.

http://hp.care/2ikNLLM

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

Honor Student
Message 3 of 8 (86 Views)

Thank you for the response and visibility. Your understanding of the issue is correct.

As noted in the third paragraph of my original post, I found that support article, but most of the diagnostic paths are for the power light coming ON but the battery not charging, which is the opposite of the problem I am having. Furthermore, as also noted in that paragraph, the laptop does not have the Smart Adapter software installed nor does its BIOS have the self-test functionality. Obviously the BIOS is a fixed quantity, but is there a download source for the software?

For the record, the adapter is HP OEM. Beyond replacement, is there any other way to test it, excepting what has already been discussed? I'd hate to buy another adapter only to have the problem persist.

Thanks,
Kyle
HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 8 (82 Views)

Hi @EvilKyle

Thank you for posting back.

Follow the steps in the below article to test the hardware components on your computer.

http://hp.care/2bOrqZQ

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

Honor Student
Message 5 of 8 (76 Views)

I installed HP PC Hardware per the instructions. It created an HP Tools partition on the HD. However, when I press F2 (or Esc and then F2) during POST, I get the following screen, NOT the UEFI interface. Apologies for the odd angle; the screen is gloss so I had to tilt it away from me.

F2 screen.png

Attempting to load from a USB drive did the same.

The BIOS is Insyde version F.46, which is the latest available on the download page.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Kyle

HP Support Agent
Message 6 of 8 (63 Views)

Hi @EvilKyle

When you are on the start up screen (The screen shot you have shared) you need to press the F2 key once to go to hardware diagnostic page. In case, if you are pressing F2 and still the computer stays in the same screen try pressing FN and F2 and check.

Let me know how it goes. Awaiting your reply!

Good day! Take care Smiley Happy

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

Highlighted
Honor Student
Message 7 of 8 (53 Views)

Pressing F2 from that screen automatically executed memory and hard drive tests, in that order (both of which passed, for what it's worth). Nothing else, though.

It sounds like something is not there that should be?

Thanks for taking the time to walk through this.

-Kyle

HP Support Agent
Message 8 of 8 (41 Views)

Hi @EvilKyle

I recommend you to contact phone support to further diagnose the issue.

Follow below steps to contact phone support.

Step 1. Open link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get phone number

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation