Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi all,

I own an HP ProBook 4530s (P/N: XU015UT#ABA) and I'd like to upgrade its hard disk drive with a new SSD which is SATA III.

My question is if my laptop supports SATA III, in order to get maximum speeds.

Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

the Probook 4530s has a first generation SATA(150)  interface SATA2 interface. You will get SATA2 data transfer speeds by installing a SATA3 SSD.  That is still fast enough to be worth upgrading.

Thanks and a KUDO! for member Paul_Tikkanen for providing updated information. 🙂

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended
Thanks for the quick reply!
HP Recommended
So, is it worth buying a new ~200GB SSD for ~200€?
Will a user have a benefit operating with a hard disk which can read its contents with a speed of 555MB/sec while the rest of the system can accept only 150MB/sec?
I admit that there will be some acceleration in the overall process, but can this enhancement justify the initial cost?
HP Recommended

An update to my last post. The 4530s has a 300MB/s SATA interface so it qualifies as SATA2. That will give a response time that should make it worthwhile to update to a SATA2 or SATA3 SDD for performance. I don't know if you have used an SSD upgraded notebook  before, but the performance increase is incredible. You won't believe that it s the same notebook PC.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

As of many videos I've already seen on Youtube, I can tell that the overall performance is quite impressive.

As far as the laptop's interface is concerned, I get a SATA III result, according to hwinfo64's, AIDA64's and SiSoft Sandra's test tools.

sandra.jpg

hwinfo.jpg

I'm not totally sure if these measurements are accurate, but I think it's worth to give it a shot...

HP Recommended

@goutsi wrote:

As of many videos I've already seen on Youtube, I can tell that the overall performance is quite impressive.

As far as the laptop's interface is concerned, I get a SATA III result, according to hwinfo64's, AIDA64's and SiSoft Sandra's test tools.

sandra.jpg

hwinfo.jpg

I'm not totally sure if these measurements are accurate, but I think it's worth to give it a shot...

Then that means that HP did not limit the chipset's SATA controller performance in the BIOS. I can't see the images yet so I will come back and look at them in a few hours.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.