Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
15s-fq0020nl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Finger print SCANNER doesnt work anymore... Ive bought this laptop few days ago... It was working fine.. until there has been 2 updates of Windows 10 (which i was kinda forced to do)... Eventualy there was not any error, but Simply the fingerprint scanner was like It never existed.. and when i try configure It..It Tells me that Windows cant find any fingerprint scanner... Eventualy, even before i had a chance to reason on what to do, the computer forced me (again!) to do a BIOS update.....i thought It could resolve the problem of the fingerprint so i let the computer do It... But It had no effect... ANY SUGGESTION?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Andyf17 

Depending on whether you are still running Windows 10 V1903, the following may work...

Know that you are not forced to update your HP Software and Drivers - including the BIOS - if you set your update software to Notify as opposed to automatic installs.  In particular, it is best you do not let the computer update the BIOS out from under you:  The BIOS update can be troublesome at times.  BIOS updates are best handled as a separate (by itself) manual update on your schedule and when you are ready to install the new BIOS.

Reminder – Manually Update the BIOS

How to install BIOS Updates:

Select the option to manually install the BIOS update.

HP Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS (Basic Input Output System)

HP Desktop PCs - Updating the BIOS (Basic Input Output System)

HP Support Assistant - Notify me

Open HPSA Software

Settings > Set to “Notify” as opposed to “Auto-Update”

Save Changes > Restart the computer and log in

Open HPSA

Check for Updates > Use the list to determine candidates for update

If BIOS is offered, set to “ignore” or otherwise remove this update from list of potential updates

Install other HP software and updates using HPSA or manually install those updates

Check Current BIOS version

Control Panel > icon view > Administrative Tools > System Information

System Summary - Check the information next to BIOS Version / Date 

Consider / Try

Assuming you had the fingerprint reader / driver working before, then you already have a Windows PIN login set up and ready to go.  Should there be a problem with the PIN, in most cases, you will receive a notice from Windows that there is an issue - you can then reset the PIN as needed.

Reference

Microsoft - Fix problems with your PIN

Continue...

Assuming you have completed the following:

• HP software and drivers have been updated on your computer, for OTHER than the fingerprint reader driver, including the latest chipset and BIOS for your computer.
  • Windows Updates are current and completed.  You are updated to Windows V1903 

IMPORTANT NOTE:  Windows V1909 is possible to have been added to your system but is perhaps not yet supported on general distribution at this writing - there is likely no workaround if the available fingerprint driver will not work in V1909 - you will have to wait for a new driver.

If yes, continuing...

After other dates are completed, update the fingerprint reader driver

Basics - Update / install the fingerprint driver

Control Panel > icon view > Device Manager 

Open Biometrics

Right-Click on your fingerprint driver > Uninstall

Open your computer's website support page  (how to find computer homepage later in this message)

Open Category Software and Drivers (exact wording varies)

Open Section Driver - Keyboard, Mouse and Input Devices

OR

Your fingerprint reader driver at this writing:

ELAN Fingerprint Sensor Driver (Windows 10 v1903)

Download-Save the latest fingerprint reader driver

NOTE:  The exact name of the driver varies - usually contains the word "fingerprint".

Open File Explorer (formally Windows Explorer)

Navigate to the folder in which you saved the fingerprint driver installation package (likely Downloads)

Double-tap on the installation file to install the driver

After the driver is installed, Restart the computer and log in

Open Sign-in options and set up your fingerprint.

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Device

Clarification of terms and "what the device can do" (Specifications)

Device Homepage

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Product Information, more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP Notebook - 15s-fq0020nl

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

There Is not any "biometric" section... And there isnt any device flagged with problem with the drivers... Thats the real problem...   Its Looks  like it doesnt exist any fingerprint at all!... And from the bios there is not any section to enable or disable fingerprint... It is like it has never existed.

P.S. i was not forced to update the bios literaly...but i simply powered on the computer... And it poped out the bios screen with a cound down to updating the bios.. Which if i didnt clicked and say no... It would have started by itself without any user interaction... If i were distracted in that moment.. it would have started without i notice..... This is really unusual and definitely bad!

HP Recommended

@Andyf17 

It is odd that the BIOMETRIC Devices category in the Device Manager is unavailable.   I cannot explain that - not at all.

You may need to update the BIOS.  That you don't want HPSA to do that is understandable, of course - the update may still be something you want to do.

Check and (if appropriate) update the BIOS manually.

Check Current BIOS version

Control Panel > icon view > Administrative Tools > System Information

System Summary - Check the information next to BIOS Version / Date 

How to install BIOS Updates:

Select the option to manually install the BIOS update.

HP Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS (Basic Input Output System)

HP Desktop PCs - Updating the BIOS (Basic Input Output System)

Considering that full driver support might be lagging, hopefully you have not updated to Windows V1909.  While this works for many, in some cases the update has not been easy on the system.

What to do?

I suggest you contact HP Technical Support in your region.

Gather your information, including which version of Windows 10 you are now running.

Control Panel > icon view > Administrative Tools > System InformationSystem Summary 

Sometimes it is just easier to be able to communicate in real time, check results, and resolve issues. 

HP Technical Support - HP Contact Information

Reminders

• Use the serial number of the device to submit the case (do not post that information on the Community).

• Chat is not available in every region. In those areas where Chat is an option, Chat service hours are likely restricted.  In the event that Chat is not available in your region:  Call the number provided in the HP directory, else submit your case online (to receive phone contact information)

• HP will advise you there is a fee for phone support and / or other services when your computer / device is no longer under warranty.  This is normal business practice.

• HP may tell you that certain services are not covered under warranty.  This is normal business practice.  Standard Warranty typically covers specific hardware issues as explained in the Warranty contract. Care Pack coverage and warranties differ by package.

• If the HP Contact (phone) number is not immediately provided:  Contact information is displayed on your screen after you submit your case online.  

• HP websites are the only ones allowed to use the HP copyright circle/logo.  Look for the copyright on any website claiming to be HP. If in doubt, scroll to the bottom of the Website to find HP copyright logo.

“Everywhere” Contact Information - HP Technical Support

Open website  HP World-Wide Support

Select your region and follow the prompts

Option – Regions

USA / Canada

Submit information / case online: Contact HP Support – Assistance Portal

1. Sign in or continue as a guest

UK

1. For faster support, first submit information / case online HP Customer Support UK
  2. Contact by Phone: Contact HP UK – Phone Assist

Option - HP Support is on Facebook!

HP on Facebook

From HP:  HP Fraud Alert: Protect Yourself from Scams, Report Suspicious Calls

From HP > CAUTION

Recently, HP has seen an increased number of third-party support websites selling HP driver downloads or diagnostic tools. Many of these websites use the HP trademark symbol and claim to be official HP distributors.

If your product supports your operating system, HP offers your driver and software at no additional cost through the HP website.

Use caution when dealing with any website that asks you to pay for HP driver downloads or tools that claim to diagnose your HP products. These websites might not be affiliated with HP in any way.

Do not install BIOS updates from a motherboard manufacturer's website. Only install BIOS updates from HP. Installing BIOS updates from the motherboard manufacturer can prevent the computer from accepting an HP system recovery. This could result in a loss of data.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

My guess is that whole thing is simple like that:

Last BIOS update (i believe F.07 Rev.A) removed Biometrics/Fingerprint support (at least on some models). Could be there was no "Biometrics" section in previous BIOS version. In that case i read it means that it's by default on TRUE (active/visible). With new BIOS is simply invisible as well, but on FALSE.

Question is, why there is no activity from HP to resolve this situation? 

HP Recommended

i'm a programmer and i dont have time to lose with these HP bull**bleep**s, if HP programmers are idiots, i cant do anything.. i can simply stop buying this **bleep**ty product from a **bleep**ty brand like HP

end of transmissions!

Adieù

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.