Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Probook 430 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I would like to upgrade the hard drive that came on my Probook 430 G3 to an M.2 drive.  But when I install the M.2 drive the system refuses to boot (even with the old HD in place).

Suggestions would be welcome.

TIA

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Have you put any software on the M.2 drive? When I added an M.2 to my Zbook 15 G3 I removed the HDD while I installed the OS, got it working with the M.2, then put the HDD back in. 

HP Recommended

No able to install anything.

Removed the original HD, replaced with M.2 drive press power and nothing happens.  If I leave the HD in and add the M.2 drive same result.

BIOS is the "latest" 1.014 (I think).

TIA

HP Recommended

Hi:

According to the service manual the M2 SSD has to be set as Primary Storage.

This was probably done at the factory if one was ordered and included with the PC.

How you do that, I do not know.  Presumably there must be a setting in the BIOS somewhere.

See chapter 1, page 2...

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=7834555&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c04...

Mini card

M.2 2280 SSD (NGFF), SATA-3

Supports the following drives:

1. 256 GB TLC
  1. 128 GB TLC

Set as primary storage if selected.

HP Recommended

I "suspect" that the M.2 drive has to be held in place with a specific screw (not provided) which will magically make some type of contact.

Oh well, will go "old school" and just in a regular SSD and go from there, as least with the SSD in place the system does start:-)

Thanks all for your help, really appreciate it.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

You need to remove the Secure Boot first, otherwise you'll never be able to boot anything other than the original HD provided.

Go into windows / recovery and select to re-start to the recovery menu, then select Trouble shooting, then to change EUFI settings. Remove the Secure Boot (it will ask to confirm by re-entering a PIN it provides) and then try again. 

HP Recommended

Hi Paul is M2 slot SATA or PCIE(NVMe)?   Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.