Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Tutor
Message 1 of 2 (1,356 Views)

Probook 450 G3 Overactive Fan

[ Edited ]
Product Name: Probook 450 G3
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I've twice had to exchange a Probook 450 G3, for additional reasons also (faulty power connector), so have had experience with 3 units altogether. All 3 had the same issue, the fan would kick in too often, a few instances a minute, making an up and down whirring sound which was very annoying and distracting. The strange thing is that the fan would kick in when the CPU usage was minimal, <5%, web browsing is the most taxing thing I do, no gaming or intense graphic applications.

Never had an issue like this with any other laptop/computer, it's basically brand new so no possibility of dust, too hot environment etc. My 8 year old Dell laptop with much more inferior specs handles these activities easily with infrequent fan noise/activity.

The laptop is not getting noticeably hot for the fan to turn on and off so often. Is the G3 so heat inefficient that the CPU gets too hot very easily, or is the fan's thermal sensor temp. range too low and the fan is kicking in unnecessarily? I've updated the BIOS and chipset and already contacted HP support who want me to send it to them, but I explained that this issue happened on all 3 units, revealing that the model design/components could be at fault.

Would appreciate any insight/explanation for this.

0 Kudos
Tutor
Message 2 of 2 (1,288 Views)

Re: Probook 450 G3 Overactive Fan/Heat Problem

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation