Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

my probook 4530s running windows 7 home premium core i3 was one year old in june 2013. I have started to notice that the fan makes a loud noise sometimes. It use to run continually before and pick up speed when I use to play heavy graphic games which i presume is normal. Now I have noticed that the fan does not work that often and my processor heats up to 82c (doing normal browsing) and then the fan comes on, that also in small bursts.

My friend also has the same model probook, he purchased it a year before me and when his one year was up had the same issue and replaced his fan.

Is the fan spoilt?  

if I replace it should I use an non flawed brand, which brand?

Appreciate your support.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

You can try to clean your fan or replace thermal grease or thermal pad on the CPU which is under teh heat sink.

You can get the tehrmal grease from any computer store

Take a look at the link below for cleaning the FAN

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01657439

You can download Self maintenance guide to see how to open the unit

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&contentType=Support...

If you want to purchase new FAN, please visit hp.com to get it.

http://h20141.www2.hp.com/hpparts/Default.aspx?mscssid=680DC927350A4DBC83C5673AA6E89BBD&cc=US&lang=E...

**********************************************************************************
Although I am an HP Employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.
HP Recommended

I clean the fan every 4 months from the time I brought the laptop so Cleanness is not the issue.

You gave me the link to buy a replacement fan, I don't think you read my question, which is if this model of the fan is Flawed I would be replacing it with the same and looking to have the same issue after a year. This is a known issue, if you run a google search on 4530s fan issue you will even find a facebook page of people having the same issue.

HP Recommended

Hi Alex,

Your ProBook is a Business model.  Your issue would be best answered on the HP Enterprise Business Community Forum

Good luck!

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

Hi Alex,

I won't recommand you purchase fan from 3rd party since it is not qualified.

By searching from Google, i believe your issue is different from other people. 

Changing a new fan and thermal grease/pad can solve your issue.

Best Regards

Chris

**********************************************************************************
Although I am an HP Employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.
HP Recommended

I would suggest posting your issue in the Enterprise Forums as I suggested above, which is the appropriate forum for business model notebooks.

Good luck!

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

For all interested users who are not having any luck with the HP Fan Control or other suggested tools.

I have a 4530s which started showing symptoms of a pulsating fan i.e. fan going to full RPM and back to normal in matter of seconds. After couple of months time frame it continously ran on full RPM and no tool would slow down the fan or stop it.  Turns out that one of the fan cable (in my case blue one) had been crushed by the back cover and was possibly in a disconnected state. Fiddling with this cable immedietly slowed down the fan. I believe that over time the cable was continously pressed in its place by a plastic piece in the back cover which eventually caused it to break. I have sort of straightened the cable and placed the cover back and voila all works fine (even with out the HPFanControl). I did also get rid of the offending pieace from the back cover so that it can not damage the cable any more.

Putting in a new fan I believe gets rid of the issue since the cable is also brand new...

HP Recommended

I know this is a old message but i recently had the same issue with a customer's laptop. I replaced the fan, and it made the exact same noise with the new one. It turns out there was a sticker on the back of the keyboard HP places directly above the fan on this model, and it rubs against it when in operation.  Just pop off the keyboard and remove the sticker, you dont need it anyway. Hope this helps some people here. 

HP Recommended

My fan did the same thing, started the surge issue and then sounded so loud I couldn't stand to be in the room with it.   I bought a generic replacement on Amazon and now 3 months into it, the new fan just stops blowing for no reason and of course the motherboard overheats.  When I hear it stop running I shut it down then on reboot it starts working again.   I'm about to order a third fan but I realize that this fan seen multiple locations is probably like other components in that the same fan made by the same Chinese mfg  is being sold everywhere and priced all over the board depending on the name of the vendor selling it, so again I'll try my luck with the cheapest.   These days with electronic supplies it is a luck of the draw, as quality has long ago died.

Summary:

At near 40 years in IT industry, this is my least favorite laptop.   Here are the issues I have encountered:

- 13 months use, the battery failed, HP would not warrant

- 15 months charging circuit started intermittitantly failing (charger showed no light at laptop jack indicator white/yellow but the PUC had DC out voltage shown on multimeter.  Failure scenario: battery would run down with power supply attached, then I would remove battery, hold in "power on" button, install everything back and it would all magicallyl start working again)

- burned up three 100W power supplies in a period of 1 year (power supply was too hot to touch, would keep getting hotter and then just stop working)

- finally ordered a 150W Compaq laptop supply, the literal size of a brick and no more issues charging or burning up power supplies (this thing really eats the power if doing photo or video processing)

- fan issues (see above), now working on the failed second fan and about to order the third fan for it

- the thing weighs a ton

I bought this laptop as the last one on the retailer shelf that supported an Express card slot (need fireware).   I am sad to say that it will be my last HP.   I also don't think these problems are unique to me, as I see others online with failures in the same area.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.