Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq Presario CQ56- 206sa
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Hi, 

I'm trying to upgrade the processor of HP Compaq presario CQ 56 - 206sa laptop from Intel pentium to i3 or i5 or i7.

Is it possible? If so, will I be able to buy the processor alone?

If the above is not possible, will I be able to change the motherboard (to accomodate the i3, i5, or i7 processor) alone, keeping all the other items like Hard drive, RAM the same?

If someone could help me in this, it would be grateful.

Thanks in Advance.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

You can not install core i3 or i5 because they are not compatible with Socket P using your laptop.

Manual

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02657369

Regards.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. So would you advise me to buy a new mother board which can accomodate i3 processor?

May I keep all other things like Hard drive, RAM,  CPU fan the same?

HP Recommended

Here is the Manual:

Manual

The CQ56 is a "budget" laptop and the motherboard uses the GL40 chipset which is designed for Intel Pentium and Celeron processors. In addition, it is from the Core 2 Duo era, not the Intel Core (i3, i5) era so those newer processors would not even fit in the socket on the motherboard. There is no newer motherboard that will fit in the chassis of the laptop.

So really none of your questions can be answered "yes". People assume there may be money to be saved by just upgrading a laptop but rarely does it make any sense. So basically it is time to consider a new laptop to get the performance you want.

HP Recommended

I'm going to give the laptop to my mom who is just going to browse. But still I thought I could improve the performance a bit and give it to her. Will I be atleast able to upgrade the processor to Intel core 2 duo from 2.3 GHz Intel Pentium T4500.

Is this possible?

HP Recommended

With GL40 chipset is already at the limit of more powerful hardware that can support.

Unofficially it is said that possibly GL40 supports more powerful processors, but that's a risk of trial and error.

GL40 Chipset CPU compatibility? | NotebookReview
http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/gl40-chipset-cpu-compatibility.334009/

Regards.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.