Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion DV6T-7000
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi, 

Recently noticed I can install a mSATA ssd on my Pavilion DV6T-7000. I checked the manual and it said only the 32GB - HP part number 682099-001 will work. 

I can't find this part number anywhere, I suspect it is discontinued. However, I found somewhere someone said 695867-001 would also work. It is a LiteOn 32GB mSata III 6gb/s 3.3V 1A.  I couldn't find parts information on the 682099-001 except it was listed as also mSata III.

So I bought one from eBay, the 695867-001, which the seller stated it was pulled from a "Pavilion DV6T-7000" the exact laptop I have. So... it should work? But when I plugged it in, even the BIOS did not detect anything. Yes, I have updated to the latest BIOS F.2E Rev.A (Sep 9, 2016).

My question is.
1) Is the 695867-001 a compatible replacement for 682099-001?
2) Am I doing something wrong? Or is this 695867-001 I bought simply bad?
3) I'm really not looking to put the OS on the mSATA. I just want to use it as a normal drive. Is there any way this is possible now?

Thanks.

Edit:
4) I also found 717771-001 which is 32GB, 3.3V 0.95A. Will this work? The problem is I can't find these info on the original 682099-001 or should it even matter? Seems only the amp is different. There's also a Samsung one listed as 695867-001 with only 0.6A. Seems like the closest or lower than 682099-001 is 680404-001 which is 1.5A. Will this work?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

FINALLY Resolved.

For anyone in the future who ran into this. 

The bottom line is?

1) HP making things more complicated than it is. It is a mSATA port and will work practically with any mSATA III 6gb/s transfer. It is really easy to use this as a 2nd drive instead of Intel's accelerated cache. On my system, by default it is not turned on as a cache. However, if your system has it on cache, just run Intel Rapid Storage (search in the menu bar) and turn off acceleration.

2) DO NOT BUY USED ones from eBay! This is where it screwed me up. Two of the ones I bought first were bad and I thought it was a "compatibility" issue. I finally bought a new one for testing, a generic China brand for $17, but new and it works. (Dogfish Tech - 32GB, 1A)

After the test, I ran the one that I wanted, Samsung 128GB open box (means it is new but sold without box), finally it worked and this one ran at 0.65A).

So a couple of notes:
1) A Lite-On 32GB, 1A (used) - BIOS didn't even detect it. Either it is a bad one or it is incompatible.

2) Samsung 32GB 1.5A (used) - Corrupted firmware, sold me an ewaste

3) Dogfish 32GB, 1A (new) - Worked like a charm. Generic brand but nice.

4) Samsung 128GB, 0.65A (open box) - Worked like a charm.

----

A) Size can probably go bigger, but I only needed a 128GB. I would think 512GB would definitely work, but anything larger might depend on BIOS update.

B) The lower the amperage the better, because it draws less power and generate less heat. The 0.65A is so nice, it doesn't even heat up.

C) I should note that both mSATA I bought that worked, they were formatted MBA, NTFS, Primary partition. The Dogfish was completely new, came unallocated and I had to format this myself (via adapter). Not sure what would happen if you inserted this into the mSATA port without formatting. I would guess it simply treat it as an unformatted drive and let's you format it.

D) mSATA-USB 3.0 adapter is not as fast as the actual mSATA port, despite their claim it is 6gb/s. USB 3.0 is at most 5gb/s, however I did the crystalmark benchmark test and the mSATA port is approx 2x faster than the USB 3.0 port in direct read and that itself was about 2x faster than my 7200 rpm HDD. However, in writing and random read, the mSATA port is almost 10-20x faster than the USB 3.0.

Good luck!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@huangcck 

A1. The first one is invalid

https://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?searchText=695867-001

The second one is valid but  NO LONGER SUPPLIED

https://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?searchText=682099-001

A2. As mentioned above, it is an invalid part

A3. You can ignore it and upgrade you normal 2.5" HDD to SSD, machine will run much better.

A4. It is also an invalid part

https://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?searchText=717771-001

Again, you can ignore mSATA cache slot altogether and upgrade 2.5" HDD to SSD

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks, but I'm not interested in upgrading my HDD on a 8 yr old laptop. I just wanted to utilize all its functions, since it comes with a mSATA port, I want to see if I can use it. 

From research, the Samsung HP 680404-001 is actually compatible. Some of them with photos showed "replace with HP 682099-001" stickers on them.

I ordered a used one for $15 just to see if it works. If someone has the same question, there is a new revision, the HP 697927-001, also by Samsung. Both the 697927-001 and 680404-001 share the Samsung p/n MZMPC032HBCD-000H1.  Theoretically, 697927-001 should also work as it is the new revision of 680404-001 which is compatible with 682099-001 and you can buy a new one on eBay and other vendors.

The only difference I could see is this one uses 1.5A. If that is the only issue, then theoretically larger sizes of 3.3V and 1.5A would work. Anyone know what is the largest size this mobo can handle? I believe the speed is 6 g/b SATA III.

Thanks! 

HP Recommended

Looks like this is much more difficult than I thought. 

I bought 680404-001 and it showed up in the bios but said SMART was not enabled and it was imminent failure detected. In the Win 7 OS, it only showed 1GB and could not do anything with it. It did detect it as a Samsung SSD, correct SATA transfer rate, and showed the firmware. However, it showed 0000 for the serial.

Now I'm wondering if this is a compatibility issue? Or I just bought a busted one? It is a used "refurbished" one, so I'm wondering if they did something, which is why there is no serial. Looks like firmware is busted. 

Does anyone know what makes it compatible? Is it the amperage? Should I try to buy a new one with 1.5A? Or does that not matter at all? I still don't know why the previous one I bought with 1A did not show up in bios at all.

I'm looking at this one right now: 3.3V 1.5A 32GB Sata III 6gb/s Transcend. Will it work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Transcend-32GB-SATA-III-6Gb-s-MSA370-mSATA-Solid-State-Drive-TS32GMSA370/11...

HP Recommended

@huangcck wrote:

.. I bought 680404-001 and it showed up in the bios but said SMART was not enabled and it was imminent failure detected. I

@huangcck 

Sorry, I've no idea about that number. Well, how much time did you spend on this ? Time is GOLD, I would not say anything more, only repeat my answer above

A3. You can ignore it and upgrade you normal 2.5" HDD to SSD, machine will run much better.

Regards.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks but again I am NOT looking to replace my HDD. This is an 8 yr old laptop, I'm not about to replace a good working HDD with a SSD and reinstalling my whole OS.

I simply want to utilize all the components of this laptop, since it as a mSATA, I want to use it. I don't even know why people care so much putting their OS on the mSATA b/c my Win 7 loads super fast on just the regular HDD. I actually wanted to use the 32GB to store another program, but right now I'd be just interested in getting it working. I'm a little OCD so I don't want to leave a perfectly good mSATA port unused.

HP Recommended

FINALLY Resolved.

For anyone in the future who ran into this. 

The bottom line is?

1) HP making things more complicated than it is. It is a mSATA port and will work practically with any mSATA III 6gb/s transfer. It is really easy to use this as a 2nd drive instead of Intel's accelerated cache. On my system, by default it is not turned on as a cache. However, if your system has it on cache, just run Intel Rapid Storage (search in the menu bar) and turn off acceleration.

2) DO NOT BUY USED ones from eBay! This is where it screwed me up. Two of the ones I bought first were bad and I thought it was a "compatibility" issue. I finally bought a new one for testing, a generic China brand for $17, but new and it works. (Dogfish Tech - 32GB, 1A)

After the test, I ran the one that I wanted, Samsung 128GB open box (means it is new but sold without box), finally it worked and this one ran at 0.65A).

So a couple of notes:
1) A Lite-On 32GB, 1A (used) - BIOS didn't even detect it. Either it is a bad one or it is incompatible.

2) Samsung 32GB 1.5A (used) - Corrupted firmware, sold me an ewaste

3) Dogfish 32GB, 1A (new) - Worked like a charm. Generic brand but nice.

4) Samsung 128GB, 0.65A (open box) - Worked like a charm.

----

A) Size can probably go bigger, but I only needed a 128GB. I would think 512GB would definitely work, but anything larger might depend on BIOS update.

B) The lower the amperage the better, because it draws less power and generate less heat. The 0.65A is so nice, it doesn't even heat up.

C) I should note that both mSATA I bought that worked, they were formatted MBA, NTFS, Primary partition. The Dogfish was completely new, came unallocated and I had to format this myself (via adapter). Not sure what would happen if you inserted this into the mSATA port without formatting. I would guess it simply treat it as an unformatted drive and let's you format it.

D) mSATA-USB 3.0 adapter is not as fast as the actual mSATA port, despite their claim it is 6gb/s. USB 3.0 is at most 5gb/s, however I did the crystalmark benchmark test and the mSATA port is approx 2x faster than the USB 3.0 port in direct read and that itself was about 2x faster than my 7200 rpm HDD. However, in writing and random read, the mSATA port is almost 10-20x faster than the USB 3.0.

Good luck!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.