Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
17 x061-nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Can someone advise if memory sticks have to be compatibale with motherboards?  I'm not referring to the connections on the motherboard.  I'm wondering if you can have a memory stick that plugs into the motherboard but will not work.  I actually thought the only compatibility issue with regards to a motherboard was the connection itself.  If memory module specifics have to be compatible with the motherboard they're plugged into then this may explain why I cannot get my computer to boot up properly.   There are two plug ins on the motherboard so I purchased two connection compatible 4GB memory sticks to use on the board and I simply cannot get the computer to work.  Thanks and sorry for the novice question

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Well there is much more to memory compatibility than whether the module fits in the RAM slot. So if the laptop is configured to take DDR3L-1600 low voltage (1.35 v) you can click in a DDR3-1066 1.5 volt stick and it will not work. 

So let's get to specifics. What memory did you buy and try to install and we can figure whether it is compatible. 

Your laptop specifically needs DDR4-2133 modules. You should only buy memory by HP Part number or from a reputable seller like Kingston or Crucial that guarantees compatibility with your particular laptop model. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@swilson3828

All STANDARD USB x.x memory stick will work with running machines which have USB ports. How do you plug it to motherboard ?

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Well there is much more to memory compatibility than whether the module fits in the RAM slot. So if the laptop is configured to take DDR3L-1600 low voltage (1.35 v) you can click in a DDR3-1066 1.5 volt stick and it will not work. 

So let's get to specifics. What memory did you buy and try to install and we can figure whether it is compatible. 

Your laptop specifically needs DDR4-2133 modules. You should only buy memory by HP Part number or from a reputable seller like Kingston or Crucial that guarantees compatibility with your particular laptop model. 

HP Recommended

@Hufferand @swilson3828

Sorry, I was thinking about other  sticks ?

Happy New Year

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

You may not be off the mark but I think the OP means RAM not a usb stick. 

HP Recommended
It's just plugged into the motherboard and held in place by two metal side clips. Just the standard push/pull plug installation. Thanks
HP Recommended
That was my issue I had DDR3 memory sticks and computer called for DDR3L. Happened to have DDR3L stick from old computer. Plugged it in now computer boots fine. Thanks for the help
HP Recommended
Yes, I was referring to RAM. Sorry for not being more clear.
HP Recommended
Yes, I was referring to RAM. My apologies for not being more specific. Thanks again
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.