Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
15ay125tu
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          DEVICE INFORMATION:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HP Product:
HP Notebook (15ay125tu)

O/S Installed:
Windows 10 Home 1903 (Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362)

Purchased:
January 2017

Network Adapter:
Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168 (came with this notebook when purchased)

Hardware ID's:
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24FB&SUBSYS_21108086&REV_10
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24FB&SUBSYS_21108086
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24FB&CC_028000
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24FB&CC_0280

Compatible ID's:
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24FB&REV_10
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24FB
PCI\VEN_8086&CC_028000
PCI\VEN_8086&CC_0280
PCI\VEN_8086
PCI\CC_028000
PCI\CC_0280

HISTORY:

Long story short, I recently damaged the wireless card that is installed in my HP notebook. As noted above, my current (and damaged) wireless card is an Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168. This card has been in my computer since I purchased it back at the beginning of 2017.

What happened was I occasionally clean out the dust from inside my notebook casing and around the CPU fan and vent area. On this occasion, I accidentally snagged one of the antenna cables whilst I had the casing off (i.e. the black and white cables attached to the wireless card). Unfortunately, rather than disconnecting from the connection point, I have pulled the entire antenna connection point off the wireless card when I snagged the cable. Anyone familiar with these cables will know that these connection points are tiny and likely quite fragile, so it's easy enough to do.

The other antenna cable was fine and it's connection remained intact, so I reassembled the notebook together and when I turned it on again I found that I no longer was able to use my Bluetooth. My wifi does still work (thank god!) but does seem to be slightly reduced with its speed.

MY QUESTION:

This is a question I put forth to anyone who may be able to help! 🙂 I have provided what information I think might help, but if you need any other information please let me know and I will get it for you.

My question is to do with replacing my wireless card. I want to replace my damaged one with another from the Intel Dual Band wireless family. While my original one is apparently still available, it's actually cheaper to purchase an updated, better model within the Intel Dual Band Wireless adapter family. I was looking at getting something like Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 or maybe even something in the 9xxx family.

If I did replace my current wireless card with a slightly better one of the same brand, is it just a matter of plugging the new one in and away I go? (i.e. plug and play ... basically, once the new wireless card is installed and antenna's connected, I would switch on the computer, go to device manager, select network adapter, select my wireless adapter, uninstall that device then restart my computer which would force it to update to the correct drivers/etc). Is it really that easy or is installing a new wireless card a lot more work than this? The reason I ask is that I recently tried to upgrade a wireless card on a completely different notebook (different brand and much older) and had all sorts of issues. I have a feeling that trying this on newer devices would be much easier, but I still just wanted to check with a community of experts! 🙂

Thanks for reading this far and thanks for any advice you may be able to give!

Cheers
Matt

Cheers,
Matt
3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi, Matt:

Welcome to the club.

I beat you in that I broke both of the antenna connections of the card.

I was persistent though.

I got a jeweler's loupe and a sewing needle, and a tweezers, and was able to poke, push, pry, and dislodge the broken terminals from the antenna cups.

Then I snapped them back onto the replacement card.

Wrecked a perfectly good Intel 7265 wifi card while installing an Intel 9260.

If you can get the shrapnel out of the antenna connector, you can upgrade to the Intel 9260 non-Vpro

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Wireless-Ac-9260-2230-Gigabit/dp/B079QH5KW1

If you cannot, you may as well leave things be, because any of the other dual band cards may not work quite right, and won't have Bluetooth either.

But for $13.30, it's your call.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

Thanks for jumping in so quick! 😄

Well, I am sorry to say this but I am actually relieved to hear that someone else is willing to admit to these mistakes. I thought for sure that any replies I got would include a 'reminder' of some sort about how the insides of a laptop are no place for a non-tech person to be poking around .... regardless of how annoyed I got by my growing dust monster living inside. So thanks for not giving me some condescending reply! 😉

Look, I maybe should have done this before I posted, but right after I posted that question I went and had another look at my wireless card and the connections. I remembered after posting that I broke it about a week ago now, and when I was working on it it was quite early one morning (around 3 am) so fresh eyes couldn't hurt. I did actually think of doing what you suggested when I went in just before but unfortunately, I checked the Bluetooth antenna connection and the connection part that has broken off the wireless card isn't on the end of the antenna cable anymore. Either I removed it when I tried to fix it right after breaking it, or it's fallen off at some point and could be absolutely anywhere (and you know how small this part is, literally a needle in haystack worthy). So, unfortunately, that option is out 😞

Also after I posted I did some research that I probably should have done before posting about the difference between 1x1 and 2x2 cards. While I don't fully understand, I think I get what they are saying and I was surprised to learn that, for my current setup, it's probably better to stick with a 1x1 card. That being said, I will likely just replace it with the same or similar 3xxx series (1x1) wireless card from intel which will suit me fine. Interestingly, when I searched for one of them last week they were the ones which were expensive (in Australian prices) but this week there does seem to be a number of new ones for sale on eBay that is relatively cheap ($20-30 AUD) which isn't too bad.

Anyways mate, thanks for your suggestions ... i appreciate them! 😉

Cheers

Matt

Cheers,
Matt
HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Matt.

Yes, I was shocked when I saw how tiny the wifi card and antenna system were.

I have replaced many wifi adapters in my time (HMC, mini PCI and PCI), and by comparison the antenna connections are huge compared to the ones on the M.2 cards.

I had thought about not even going ahead with it, but I did anyway.

As far as your question...1 x1 2 x 2, etc are the number of data streams up or down the wifi card can handle.

A 1 x 1 card will be fine because one antenna cable can handle the 1 x 1 data stream.

The problem may come into play with a 2 x 2 or greater card.

I don't know if one antenna cable can handle the double data stream or not.

Some folks say they work just fine and some don't.  So I don't know what to say.

What I do know is the BT won't work without the second antenna cable on any Intel wifi card with two terminals.

Now, if you want Wifi and Bluetooth with your one good antenna cable, get this card...

Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11 ac 1x1 WiFi + Bluetooth 4.2 Combo Adapter (MU-MIMO supported)
HP part # L17365-005.

It has the same throughput as the Intel 3165/68

This card works with only one antenna.

The only place I have been able to find this model is on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=L17365-005&_sacat=0&_sop=15

Cheers,

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.