Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Z Book 17 G3 - T7V62EA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!

Would you kind to tell me if my HP Z BOOK G3 - T7V62EA it is compatible with Kingston memory laptop, 8 GB DDR4,  2400 Mhz, CL 17, 1,2 V?

I mentioning that I have two free slots where can I insert RAM in addition to the one I had to the time of I purchase the laptop.

Best regards!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I have the Zbook 15 G3 which is essentially the same computer and the specified memory is DDR4-2133. We have had other reports of DDR4-2400 causing problems when installed alongside the original DDR4-2133. Mine came with a single 8 gig module and I added an 8 gig DDR4-2133 Patriot that I bought at Frys and it works fine and tests confirm it is running in dual channel memory mode. If you check your manual there is a specific order in which you need to populate the slots...follow that. 

Also assuming you do not have the Xeon processor as those model require ECC memory which is hard to locate and expensive. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

I have the Zbook 15 G3 which is essentially the same computer and the specified memory is DDR4-2133. We have had other reports of DDR4-2400 causing problems when installed alongside the original DDR4-2133. Mine came with a single 8 gig module and I added an 8 gig DDR4-2133 Patriot that I bought at Frys and it works fine and tests confirm it is running in dual channel memory mode. If you check your manual there is a specific order in which you need to populate the slots...follow that. 

Also assuming you do not have the Xeon processor as those model require ECC memory which is hard to locate and expensive. 

HP Recommended

Thank you!

HP Recommended

Hello!

I would ask you to tell me, if adding RAM should be done only in the combinations indicated in the HP Z Book G 3 User's Manual (page 2) or can be used other combinations  to adding RAM?

For example, if the user manual indicates the ability to add RAM 8, 16, 32 64 GB RAM, adding a 24 GB RAM can be recognized by the laptop, although such capacity is not provided by the user's manual on the page number 2?

HP Recommended

There is no such thing as a single 24 gig module, but I think it is true if you install 3 x 8 gigs or even a 16 gig and an 8 gig it will recognize and work with 24 gigs. I believe you would not have dual channel operation however. The odd module would "break" dual channel operation. 

HP Recommended

Hello!

First , I want to thank you for the promptness that you have answered me.
I would be grateful if you can get me some clarity on the RAM, that I want to add to my laptop.

I would ask you to tell me, if adding RAM should be done only in the combinations indicated in the HP Z Book G 3 User Manual (page 2) or can be used other combinations  to adding RAM?

For example, if the user manual indicates the ability to add  8, 16, 32 64 GB RAM, adding a 24 GB RAM can be recognized by the laptop, although such capacity is not provided by the user's manual on the page number 2?

Also, please tell me, if it is mandatory to add the RAM memory in the combination indicated by the manufacturer (for example  32 GB RAM can be used 16x2 or 8x4 RAM) or can  be used other combinations ? (for example, for a total of 24 GB RAM to use 4x2 RAM  + 16 GB of RAM, although this is not provided in the HP User Manual - page 2)

Best Regards!

HP Recommended

Looks like our last posts crossed each other. You only HAVE to use the order specified in the Manual to keep the memory operating in dual channel. You have 4 slots. I believe the smallest DDR4 chips are 4 gigs and the largest you can use are 16 gigs. It will run 4 x 16 = 64 gigs of RAM and any other combination you can make out of 4, 8 and/or 16 gig chips. Just not dual channel unless you follow the manual to the letter as far as the size of the modules and the order to install them. 

HP Recommended

Thank you!

HP Recommended

After several internet searches about the RAM features compatible with my laptop, I have identified this model:
Corsair RAM Value Select Memory, SODIMM, DDR4, 2x4 GB, 2133 MHz, CL15, 1.2V, kit.
Although, the generally characteristics correspond to those indicated by the manufacturer in the HP Manuál (page 2) I have the following questions:
1. Cycle Times (tRAS) is 36 on the RAM Corsair and on the laptop's RAM model is 35
2. No reference is made to the Corsair manufacturer's site on the compatibility or incompatibility of this RAM for my laptop.
That's why please let me know, as far as you can, if this RAM memory Corsair it's compatible with my laptop, (to operate in dual channel) or if it is possible to make me some recommendations RAM memory for my laptop model. (HP T7V62E

Best regards!

HP Recommended

After several internet searches about the RAM features compatible with my laptop, I have identified this model:
Corsair RAM Value Select Memory, SODIMM, DDR4, 2x4 GB, 2133 MHz, CL15, 1.2V, kit.
Although, the generally characteristics correspond to those indicated by the manufacturer in the HP Manuál (page 2) I have the following questions:
1. Cycle Times (tRAS) is 36 on the RAM Corsair and on the laptop's RAM model is 35
2. No reference is made to the Corsair manufacturer's site on the compatibility or incompatibility of this RAM for my laptop.
That's why please let me know, as far as you can, if this RAM memory Corsair it's compatible with my laptop, (to operate in dual channel) or if it is possible to make me some recommendations RAM memory for my laptop model. (HP T7V62EA)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.