Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Compaq presario cq57 303SL
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello
I recently bought 4gb RAM
But only the old 3.60 GB works
the rest doesn't work
is there any possibility of defects? or it's just a compatibility issue
I tried to look for the model of the motherboard to check but I did not find
you can answer me about my problem
a suggestion something
because I no longer understand what the problem is
I apologize for a bad English
Thanks

1.png2.png3.png4.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

That troubleshooting  would be mean that the new memory module is faulty.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Mixing modules from differing manufacturers with different bus speeds/ module configuration/ module voltage can cause exactly what you are experiencing.

That is exactly why I always recommend purchasing guaranteed compatible modules from a memory manufacturer. It takes the guesswork, disappointment and wasted time out of the upgrade decision.

See the link below this line for guaranteed compatible memory modules and SSD products for your notebook.

https://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP---Compaq/presario-cq57-315nr

Remove the original module when performing the upgrade and replace it with the pair of upgrade modules that you purchased.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

there are no different manufacturers.If I just insert the new module in the notebook the screen stays black.the new module is not compatible (why? I don't know) or broken .anyway thanks for the answer.I'll probably buy another module from crucial.com or get rid of this very old notebook and go for a total upgrade

ls1.pngls2.png

HP Recommended

Try the modules one at a time in the notebook.

It is possible that one module slot is faulty since you say it is a very old notebook. Eight years is a long time in notebook years.

HP Recommended

the old module works perfectly in any slot.if I install only the new module the screen remains black.is the new module broken? or just a compatibility issue?

HP Recommended

That troubleshooting  would be mean that the new memory module is faulty.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your time

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.