Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Laptop 17-ae0xx

Hi,

My HP ENVY Laptop 17-ae0xx currently has 8 GB of Ram and I need to increase this to as much as possible.  

Two questions:  

1 - What is the maximum Ram storage that I can have?

2 - How can I tell which Ram extensions are compatible with my Laptop?

Many thanks for you help.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Here is the Manual:

Service Manual 

There are slots for two modules. It uses DDR4-2400 SO-DIMM and these will downclock (bridge) to -2133 speed. 

The Manual says max is 16 gigs but its actually 32 gigs. You can install a pair of 16 gb modules. Like this: 

Timetec Hynix IC 16GB DDR4 2400MHz PC4-19200 Unbuffered Non-ECC 1.2V CL17 2Rx8 Dual Rank 260 Pin SOD...

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

I had read on other forums that it can be upgraded to 32gigs but wondered if there is a risk in damaging the laptop if it says it has a 16GB limit?

Also, I'm not very tech savvy at all. Are these easy to replace or do i need an expert to do it for me?

HP Recommended

There would be no damage. Many many users have confirmed the 32 gig limit. Worst case, it just does not work but would not hurt anything. But it will work.

Not sure of your level of technical abilities. The back cover can be a bit tricky to get off and you have to observe some basic anti-static precautions but its not terribly difficult as compared to say a motherboard replacement. We can provide written manuals and probably videos that would help do the memory upgrade. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.