Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Notebook 17 by1021cl

Hello I have a notebook 17 by1021cl with 4gb of ram. I wanted to improve my laptop performance so I purchase 2x 8gb pny ddr4 2400mhz notebook ram sticks. I installed both sticks and my laptop froze. I figured maybe the sticks were bad but I tried both sticks individually in both ram slots and it works fine but not with both at the same time. I did a reset on my laptop and downloaded all new drivers. Does my lap top not support dual channel ram there are 2 slots and the ram is compatible. Any assistance would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Not so. As I suspected, the memory you installed is performance or gaming memory. HP notebooks have a variety of issues with this kind of memory with aggressive timings. 

https://www.amazon.com/PNY-DDR4-2400MHz-Notebook-Memory/dp/B07PYYBXD6?th=1

In this case the latency CL = 17 is not too aggressive but we sometimes see these kind of modules will not operate in dual channel mode. I suggest you get something plain vanilla like Crucial, Samsung or Hynix. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Please provide the PNY part number of the two 8 gb modules you are installing. Odds are it is a compatibility issue with the specific memory you are trying tp put in. 

HP Recommended

MN8GSD42400 Is the part number. If there was a compatibility issue would they not work. As stated before they both function in either ram slot just not together. 

HP Recommended

Not so. As I suspected, the memory you installed is performance or gaming memory. HP notebooks have a variety of issues with this kind of memory with aggressive timings. 

https://www.amazon.com/PNY-DDR4-2400MHz-Notebook-Memory/dp/B07PYYBXD6?th=1

In this case the latency CL = 17 is not too aggressive but we sometimes see these kind of modules will not operate in dual channel mode. I suggest you get something plain vanilla like Crucial, Samsung or Hynix. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.