Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY TouchSmart 17-j041nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

At random intervals my computer disconnects then reconnects anything in the USB ports - including the built-in optical drive.

Symptoms are Windows Explorer randomly pops up showing the contents of my attached hard drives in the Explorer window. I can also hear the system sound that happens when a new USB device is plugged in and I can hear the Optical Drive make the clicking sound normally heard during boot up.

I have tested this issue and it happens on all 3 built-in USB ports with devices/drives that are both USB 3 and USB 2.

Anyone else have this issue and know how to fix it?

Don't know if it's relevant but this issue started just after the warranty expired and the OS was Windows 8.1 at the time- same as when I purchased the unit. It's been upgraded to Windows 10 Anniversary Edition and the issue remains unresolved.

Computer info:
HP ENVY TS 17 Notebook PC sold by Microsoft Store, listed at HP.com as "HP ENVY TouchSmart 17-j041nr Notebook PC", Product Number E7Z95UA#ABA. Running Windows 10 Home 64-bit (Anniversary). HP Product Support URL: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-ENVY-17-Notebook-PC-series/5396623/model/6422031/drivers

History: The computer came with Windows 8 Home installed, upgraded to 8.1 at the Microsoft Store in December 2013, then Windows 10 Anniversary Edition recently.

Status: All system drivers are up to date via Windows Update, HP Support Assistant, and over 30 system and device drivers recently updated using IObit Driver Booster 4 Pro.

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi! @Rick_C-1, thanks for the response.

Please find the BIOS update details provided below.

Provides improved security of UEFI code and variables.

NOTE: HP strongly recommends transitioning promptly to this updated BIOS version.

Sometimes BIOS update can fix many issues, So you can try updating BIOS and check if it helps.

Let me know if this helps!

Cheers! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hey there! @Rick_C-1, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!

I understand that USB ports keep disconnecting and reconnecting  automatically.

Please try few steps recommended below.

1. Scroll to the right and type 'Power Options' in the search field and click on it.
2. Click 'Change plan setting' on your chosen plan.
3. Click 'Change advanced power setting' on your chosen plan.
4. Find 'USB settings' and open.
5. Find 'USB selective suspend setting' and change it to disabled.

If you still have issues with your PC, please update BIOS from this link: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp76501-77000/sp76843.exe

Let me know if this works!

Cheers! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestion, however the Power Plan settings are already set the way you described. 

Before I start messing with the BIOS, can you please confirm that the update in the link you provided includes a definite fix for this specific issue, or is it an update that 'might' fix it?  

(just being cautious - don't want to just start trying fixes and hoping they work. That's a sure-fire way to ruin a computer)

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi! @Rick_C-1, thanks for the response.

Please find the BIOS update details provided below.

Provides improved security of UEFI code and variables.

NOTE: HP strongly recommends transitioning promptly to this updated BIOS version.

Sometimes BIOS update can fix many issues, So you can try updating BIOS and check if it helps.

Let me know if this helps!

Cheers! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response. 

I'm not always on this computer so it might be a while, but I'll post back if updating the  BIOS fixed the issue (or didn't). 

Thanks again...

HP Recommended

So far, it seems updating the BIOS did the trick and fixed the issue.

Many thanks

HP Recommended

Hi @Rick_C-1! You're welcome and thanks for the reply,

I am happy to hear that your issue got resolved.

If you have any queries in future related to any HP products, you can always reach out to us.

We will try our best to help you out.

Take care,

Have a great Weekend ahead! 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.