cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Random occurence of noise and flickering screen

HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-au130nd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I purchased this HP Pavilion (15-au130nd) 15 months ago, which means the one-year warranty has expired. The following problem only occurs occassionally (about 5 times, with 1 day to 6 months intermission) and randomly, but still causes me concern. As far as I can remember, these events have never directly followed the installation of new software or updates, and it is highly unlikely that pieces of hardware were damaged on my account.

The problem is a loud rattling noise that lasts for 3-5 minutes, appearing to come from the speakers or the bottom of the screen (if that is possible), always with the charger connected. The noise is a sort of rattle, which kind of reminds me of a spinning disc scratching the top and bottom of its drive, but there is no HDD in this device and no CD's in its CD drive. Moreover, it is unlike any ordinary noises, and at a much louder volume. What concerns me is that, the last time this happened (today), the screen was flickering during the noise. It was not switching to a black screen, but more like quickly alternating between the highest and lowest brightness settings.

Simultaneously, and perhaps related, the battery does not charge further than 45% while the HP support assistant's battery check maintains it is 100% fine. This has been the case for at least 8 months now. I believe this issue may be related because, shortly after the last occurrence, there was a soft high beep sound coming from near the charging point, which stopped immediately upon unplugging the charger. On the other hand, this beep is now gone, even though the charger is plugged back in.

I am sorry I can't provide much more information, as the problem only imposes itself unasked. In spite of this, I hope someone has some ideas or information on the probable cause and fixes. Could it be the motherboard, screen or charger? Or is it perhaps not related to hardware issues?

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
30,154 30,104 2,493 3,762
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@JH267 Welcome to HP Forums!

I suggest performing a hardware test on the device to ensure this isn't a hardware malfunction:

Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.

Click Extensive Test.

Click Run once, or Loop until error.

While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component display on the screen.

If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) for when you respond back to us.

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation