Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

What BIOS changes are required to install an NVMe M.2 SSD that I want to use as my master boot drive ??

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @357sig

Welcome to the HP Support Community. To assist you better, what model HP PC are you using?

Refer to this document to know how to find the Product Name or Product Number.

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry I did not include this information in my original post.  I have an HP Pavilion desktop 570-p045xt with a Lubin Motherboard; one M.2 socket 1, key A and, one M.2 socket 3, key M.  I am trying to replace the hard drive (C:) with a Samsung 970 EVO Plus  NVMe M.2 ,500 GB. I am using Win 10 Home as my op sys.

HP Recommended

@357sig, thank you for the information.

Click here to check the motherboard specifications of Lubin. Also, disable the secure boot and enable legacy boot from the BIOS. You may refer to this document to know how to disable secure boot.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Will my system not recognize the NVMe SSD if I do not disable secure boot ?  I would like to continue using secure boot if at all possible.

Will my system automatically recognize the NVMe SSD as my C:/ drive or must I disconnect my existing HD (now the C:/) for the system to see the NVMe SSD as the C:/ drive ??

If my system recognizes the SSD as the new C:/ drive will it assign a different drive number to the existing HD if I do not disconnect it ??

I'm just full of questions.....thanks for your patience.

Carl

HP Recommended

@357sig

• We can keep the secure boot on if you are not going to use the SSD as the primary drive. But if you use it as primary, you might have to disable secure boot, else you might not be able to install the OS on that drive.
  • The C drive will be any drive where the OS is installed.
  • If you use the SSD as secondary, then it will be assigned another letter D or E etc

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@357sig

I'm glad you got this issue sorted out

Do visit our HP Support Community and drop us a message anytime you need help

Thank you

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.