Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hello Paul,

I hope you are keeping well.

I have a HP HDX 18 (Model 1374 CA) using Bios version F.34.

I would like to upgrade the current CPU (Q 9000) to the QX 9300 and would need some guidance please. I read that a Bios update would be required but not sure if this (F.34) already 'is' the most current Bios for this model? I saw that there maybe a F.34 Rev A but am not sure. 

I also read that the 'heat' output of the QX 9300 is about the same (45 W) as the original CPU so no additional heat solutions would be required. 

Can you please confirm if I have it right or wrong and if incorrect, where I could find the latest Bios update file (HP's site will not support models more than 10 years old) in order to preform the CPU upgrade. 

Any additional information would also greatly be appreciated. 

I sincerely thank you for your time and any information so I may complete this upgrade.

All the best,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

I am doing fine so far, and I hope you are too.

As I had explained to the other forum member, as far as I am aware, F.34 was the last BIOS update HP released for that model series.

All of the HP BIOS updates end in 'revision A.'  F.34 is the actual BIOS update.

Unfortunately, all I can provide you with is the service manual, which shows the Intel QX9300 is supported.

See chapter 1.

Maintenance and Service Guide (hp.com)

Best regards,

Paul

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

I am doing fine so far, and I hope you are too.

As I had explained to the other forum member, as far as I am aware, F.34 was the last BIOS update HP released for that model series.

All of the HP BIOS updates end in 'revision A.'  F.34 is the actual BIOS update.

Unfortunately, all I can provide you with is the service manual, which shows the Intel QX9300 is supported.

See chapter 1.

Maintenance and Service Guide (hp.com)

Best regards,

Paul

HP Recommended

Thank you dear Paul, glad to hear you are good.

I absolutely love this community and really appreciate your superb guidance and help. You confirmed what I needed to know and yes I assumed the Rev.A was a new revised version .. oops.. 

Thanks again and be well Sir! Happy Holidays:)

Best.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Happy Holidays to you too, and please post back and let us know how your notebook's processor upgrade project went.

Best Regards,

Paul

HP Recommended

Happy New Year Paul,

I just wanted to report back here to confirm that the CPU upgrade was a success and all is working superbly now. The QX-9300 extreme is a beast in comparison to its predecessor (Q-9000) and the system runs a lot faster now and with less crashes (I am a Linux user so was surprised it would freeze... that's over now thank goodness).

Thank you once more for your AWESOME guidance; it was so appreciated :))) and I wish you and your loved ones the very best for 2021. 

Be well and stay safe Sir.

HP Recommended

Happy New Year to you too!

Very happy to read that your notebook's processor upgrade was successful and that you greatly benefitted from it.

I wish you all the best for a safe and a better 2021!

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.