Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
U mean F10 and then F9 for defaults.
Tried that didn't worked.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi! @theaftermath

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I understand that you get error Hard Disk - (3F0) BootDevice not found, on your PC.

As you mentioned that the hard drive test passed. But you still get the hard drive error.

It looks like hard drive is about to fail on your PC so you are getting that error.

It has nothing to do with the BIOS.

Refer this document for more information.

Hope you have a great day ahead! 

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

77 REPLIES 77
HP Recommended

Hello, 

I'll be making a post here to show you how to troubleshoot the Hard Disk (3F0) error message. 

3F0 can be caused by 3 things

1. Bad hard drive or partition structure, erase the entire hard drive then use HP recovery discs to attempt reinstall of the OS and all partitions.

2. Bad hard drive data cable that connects it to the motherboard, replace the cable

3. Bad sata controller on the motherboard replaces the motherboard or laptop.

Now, the first step, is to test the Hard Drive out in the BIOS if you can get into it. 

You will need to boot up the notebook and press F10. If you can get into the BIOS you will need to run the self-test. Here is a document showing you how to run the test. If you can't get into the BIOS I would suggest removing the HDD and then try getting into the BIOS again. Once you remove the HDD boot the notebook up again and press F10. If you can get into the BIOS, then the HDD is bad. 

Here is a video showing you how to remove the HDD:

Another step you can take is removing the HDD and testing it out in a different notebook. If you receive the same error message on a different notebook then we will know the culprit is the HDD. 

Now, if the HDD comes back OK, I would suggest calling HP @8004746836 and see what options they have on replacing or repairing the notebook. 

In most notebooks the Hard Drive data cable and the SATA cables are usually built in cables that cannot be replaced unless you replace the entire notebook. 

If you guys have any questions at all please let me know. 

THX

HP Recommended

Hope this is helpful.

THX

HP Recommended

hi, I changed the hdd from 500 because it was faulty. Now I get a black screen with "hard disk boot device not found <3F0>". If I try to install windows 7 or windows 8 seems to me not the new hard drive (the hard drive is safe functioning because tried it on other computers). If I install windows 8 on ssd to restart its always the same screen reappears. How do I resolve?

HP Recommended

I just solved this error when trying to install Linux on a HDD that I knew was working.  It wouldn't recognize the HDD and wouldn't install untill I went into the bios and chose the "lEGACY" OPTION for boot devices which had a HDD option where without it it did not (Some strange Windows 8 - Shat).  And even then it got stuck with a black screen after a few seconds but the new problem was the screen brightness was somehow turned full "Low". 

On another note - this new computer was a replacement which took 7 SEVEN weeks to replace - with all the most rediculous excuses and hoops to jump through - WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HP Recommended

@ack0329 I registered just to say thanks.. turning that off worked and resolved my problem when no other solutions helped thank you 

HP Recommended

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Enabling the "LEGACY" option in the F10 boot up screen brought my replacement HDD to life.

I would have never guessed that in a million years

HP Recommended

Hi ,

I am getting the same meessage as Boot device not found 3F0..even after I install the Ubuntu I got the same message.

I need real help down here,My work is stuck in the middle...I don't think HDD is the problem ,Since I was able to copy the data on external USB ,when I ran virtual Ubuntu.

Please help out....Please don't tell me I have to replace my mother board......And I personnaly don't think HDD ot Mother Board cable is problem.....

PLease help

HP Recommended

Hi there....!

Have u tried selecting "Legacy" for "Boot Mode" option in BIOS (F10)?

It might be of some help

Best of Luck 

Moodi

I do not work for HP and The suggestions are purely my own expression .....!

Best Regards

Moodi
HP Recommended
I cannot run the BIOS harddisk test because the computer can't find it with that error! 😞
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.