Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I cant find the privacy webcam kill switch on my HP Envy x360.  I have checked the right and left sides and all around the machine, to no avail.  Does this model have a webcam kill switch? Thanks.  Leah H

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello @LeahH,

It might not.

In order for me to check, a specific model name or product number would be appreciated. E.g. HP Spectre x360 - 13-ap0028ca or 5MT98UA#ABL

Information on how to find a laptop's model name or product number is detailed in this HP document. (Please do not post serial numbers on the HP Support Community. The difference between a product number and a serial number is that the product number contains a # sign)

By the way, what is the exact issue you're facing? Error messages? Applications tested? Etc.

Kind regards,

Eddy

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
HP Recommended

Hi EddyK, thanks for your quick reply.

My product number is w2k45ua#aba.

(HP Envy x360 m6 aq103dx)

The exact issue is I dont know if my laptop has a camera! It has a lens in the top middle of the screen, but no camera listed in the Device Manager.  I get the error message 0xa00f4244 no camerasaredeted.  

So I saw your reply to a similar question, about kill switch. I cant find it on this machine.

Does this machine have a camera?

If so, how do I find it?  Do I have to install drivers?  Or perform updates?  thanks.

HP Recommended

I am having the exact same problem with my Envy x360 Model 15m-dr1011dx .  There is no camera/imaging driver to even try and restore or update.  We did a complete windows reboot, I've done every single thing the website said to do.  It's impossible to update a driver that is not there nor can the computer find it when it scans for new hardware.  I attempted to call support today, I was on hold for 2 hours when it suddenly disconncted.  I was waiting in a queue on chat support and that disconnected too after an hour.  I'm at a complete loss in what to do.  When I first set up my computer the camera did take my profile picture.  I have not used it since and have been trying for a couple weeks now to fix this issue.  Please tell me there is someway to fix this.

HP Recommended

still no resolution... any ideas EddyK?

Thanks

Leah

HP Recommended

Hi Eddy,

Have you been able to find the answer to my HP Envy x360 webcam question? I need to know if it came with a camera, and if so, where are the drivers? Why are they not listed?

Ive performed several functions as directed by HP Agent and support, to no avail.

Can you help me figure out how to install, find, or fix my camera please? I need to work from home during the pandemic and I need to attend virtual Zoom meetings, which I currently cant because of the camera issue.  Please help!

Thanks,

LeahH

HP Recommended

Leah, after I posted last night I found another thread.  There’s a little button on the right side of the laptop that turns the camera on and off!   It’s so stupid and I have NO idea why they don’t tell you to check it first.  It seems everyone with this issue had the button off.  Check yours!  It fixed mind instantly.  Hope it works for you too!

HP Recommended

@LeahH, yours is an older model without the privacy camera kill switch.

When was the last time your camera worked? Did you recently make any changes? What applications have you tried using in order to test the webcam?

In terms of drivers, this is the closest thing:

HP IR Camera Driver (Windows 10 v1709)

Description:

This package provides the driver to enable the HP IR Camera in supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system. The HP IR Camera provides support for Windows Hello facial recognition biometric authentication.

Fix and enhancements:

- Provides the Microsoft WHQL Certified driver.

Also try a BIOS update. Make sure to keep the laptop plugged in while it's updating and please just follow all instructions carefully.

HP Notebook System BIOS Update (Intel Processors)
 Description:

This package provides an update to the System BIOS. The update installs on supported notebook models using a supported Microsoft Windows Operating System. Restart the system to complete the installation.

Fix and enhancements:

- Provides improved security.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp101001-101500/sp101175.exe

When you go to Device ManagerView Tab Show hidden devices, what do you see? Is the camera anywhere to be seen?

Also, it's probably not going to change anything but it's worth a try, go to Settings Privacy Camera > Select the Change button for camera access and ensure it's set to On

Kind regards,

Eddy

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
HP Recommended

Hi Eddy, Thanks for trying. Turns out this model doesnt have a privacy switch, or a camera!  Another support agent told me, and I heard from the manufacturer.

Thanks for trying, I appreciate it.  I gave you kudos!

Take care,

Leah

HP Recommended

Hi,

Turns out my model does not have that switch - oh only if it did! - and didnt come with a camera.  Im bummed.  And annoyed.  Ill talk to the seller (BBuy) about it.

And Ill get a separate webcam, Ive heard Logitech 920 is the best.

Thanks and good luck,

Leah

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.